28 nosler chronographed

I started with a cut knob on a 300win and have since removed it to put the MOA scale knob back on. Like others are saying it will get you close to say 500yds but it will vary and it will start to vary lots the further you shoot. You have lots of time before you get your rifle the knob isn't important yet and you don't really need it to get shooting. The advice I'd give is start digging through the site and read all you can on knobs MOA, MILLs, and marked yardage. You can always go old school and put some athletic tape on your turret and mark out your own knob as you prove it. I get why some may give you grief about asking when it's all here somewhere but sometimes a guy just need a push in the right direction. Good luck and happy reading.

Thanks

Thanks your Awesome

Some guys on here are real jackwads...i am guessing you are wanting to know how close the stated velocities in the hornady precision hunters are in a 26" barrel? Based on my experience you should be pretty close to the stated velocities. In my 270wsm that ammo was a little slower than stated, but it has a 23" barrel. I think the test barrel is 24"? Your barrel might be a little faster or slower, but if you are dead set on filling that cds coupon I would go right at or a little under what hornady says it is...i have a VX5HD and just tape a little table to the objective of my scope with drops and 10mph wind. I hunt at different elevations, so that has been the easiest thing for me to do.

Last edited:
Josh P made a good point. You can use tape (I use masking) to wrap the turret and make your own to match conditions. After I have everything tried in my ballistic app (now the Sig 2400 ABS) I will make a new turret tape as conditions change. I again only use this to a certain distance (600 at the most) as conditions change throughout the day. I also make certain my MOA or Mil markings on the turret aren't covered so I can take extended range shots using the app or Sig.
Some will ask why I do this after switching to the Sig from using a range finder plus app. I will use this for spots I have made a range card with reference spots that I already have ranged (known distance areas). Makes target acquisitions faster, mere seconds.
Kinda ugly, but this ugly comes right off.:D

Attachments

• FDF10EF9-F719-4BA1-8293-087421834E5C.jpeg
    FDF10EF9-F719-4BA1-8293-087421834E5C.jpeg
    500.5 KB · Views: 300
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts