28 Nosler and IMR 4350

Has anyone tried to work up 28 Nosler loads using IMR 4350? Having a difficult time finding powder normally listed for 28 Nosler loads but have a few pounds of the IMR 4350. Does using this powder make any sense? Bullets I have range from 139 gr to 175 gr. I would be shooting out of a CA Mesa.

Do not have the rifle yet but gathering components.

Also, does anyone use WLR primers (or other std large rifle primers) in any 28 Nosler loads? Again, I have a couple thousand WLR's but no Large Rifle Magnum primers.

IMR4350 is too fast, even for 7mm 100gr varmint bullets! You'll just be burning up barrel with IMR4350 in the this size case, with very little performance, that the 28 Nosler was created for.

Wait til you can acquire(beg borrow steal) powder in the H1000, Ramshot Magnum and the like burn rates too start with and slower.

Magnum primers work best.

Last edited:
N-570 has been showing up a little lately at Midway and midsouth.. Get on a waiting list.. Retumbo, or N-570 have been great in my 28 Nos.. H-1000 and Ramshot Mag have appropriate burn rate also.. I agree with jasonco, 4350 would be a disservice to the caliber.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback. The last couple days I have been able to pick-up some LRT and US 869 which appear to be in the right ballpark. Still chasing primers. Appreciate all the info on this forum.

Now that's what you want, LRT, I love that stuff!

What cases are you using BTW, if it's the Nosler's, they're on the soft side and are the weak link for the 28 Nos, it is what it is, right now? If at all possible source Peterson, ADG or even the Hornady cases, that'l take more than 1-2 re-loads. 28 Nosler is a hotrod, treat it accordingly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.