Imr 4350

ofdscooby

So I tried this powder with my .280 ai and 140 Barnes and put up the best group I've ever shot. Well I loaded up some more and went back to the range and had the wind taken out of my sails. It was hot here Monday(95degrees at 1030) when I went to the range and my groups were real bad. I went from putting up a 1/4" group last Monday(78 degrees)to about 3" the next. Weird thing was that my ES was still only 17. Another sad part was the speed at an average of 2890. I was really hoping to get that Barnes 140 traveling at a higher speed to help get some good mushrooming at longer distances. Well troops what is the problem I'm thinking it's just the heat and that powder. I figured if it was a primer (BR-2's) my ES would not have been as good.

I am trying IMR 4350 in my 6.5x47 with consistent results. MV is a bit lower than I had anticipated but it has been very accurate and consistent.

I have used it in my 7mm Rem Mag with good results as well.

My lots of IMR4350 have been a bit slower than H4350, but very stable and providing better load density(for me).
There is so much we don't know here about brass preps/conditions from one session to another.

So I tried this powder with my .280 ai and 140 Barnes and put up the best group I've ever shot. Well I loaded up some more and went back to the range and had the wind taken out of my sails. It was hot here Monday(95degrees at 1030) when I went to the range and my groups were real bad. I went from putting up a 1/4" group last Monday(78 degrees)to about 3" the next. Weird thing was that my ES was still only 17. Another sad part was the speed at an average of 2890. I was really hoping to get that Barnes 140 traveling at a higher speed to help get some good mushrooming at longer distances. Well troops what is the problem I'm thinking it's just the heat and that powder. I figured if it was a primer (BR-2's) my ES would not have been as good.

If your rifle is not really accurate you can get a good or even great group occasionally. I once fired a .3" with a 7-300 Wea with a 26" long .550" barrel. Normally it was a one MOA rifle.

I agree with the others. I use it in 6.5 Creed, 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06 and never had a temp stability problem...

My first thought is to check barrel clearance, make sure every screw is tight, receiver and stock mating surfaces are clean, lug fit to stock is good, trigger clean. If I had any doubts about the scope, check parallax and do a box test.
Erik.

I wanted to see if temp would change anything in my 280 700 MR.I loaded up 20 rounds with 56 grs of IMR4350 with 145 GR SPEER BT.I put half of them in the freezer and left the other half in the truck in 90 degree weather.I got the same size group.The ones in the truck had a little higher speed

I wanted to see if temp would change anything in my 280 700 MR.I loaded up 20 rounds with 56 grs of IMR4350 with 145 GR SPEER BT.I put half of them in the freezer and left the other half in the truck in 90 degree weather.I got the same size group.The ones in the truck had a little higher speed

Well then you said it yourself it is temp sensitive speed went up in the heat.
for some rifles added speed may cause inaccuracy I know it did for mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.