Difference between Hodgen 4350 and IMR 4350?

the beast

I am loading a 22-243 Rayhill...Is there any difference between Hodgen and IMR? Can I load them with the same grain weight?

NO! They are two completely different powders. It usually takes a little more IMR 4350 than H4350 to reach the same velocities and pressure.

Beast, per published burn rate charts the H4350 is a hair slower than the IMR 4350. The Hodgdon is also an extreme powder which is said to be temperature stable.

If you start at 10% down and work up to pressure you will be fine. The 4350's and 4895's were at one time the same powder in two different bottles, but the sourcing for both has changed and their burn rates have wandered a bit.

They are not, however, nearly as different as the 4831's. That is the one that any attempt at subbing should get your undies in a bind.

I wouldn't assume that you will land at exactly the same top charge with both 4350's, but a suitable drop to a start load will get you going.

I have not loaded a huge amount of h4350 but I have found it to take 2-3%less than IMR 4350 in 243win with the same bullet.

Beast, per published burn rate charts the H4350 is a hair slower than the IMR 4350. The Hodgdon is also an extreme powder which is said to be temperature stable.

Because of the temperature stability attribute of H4350 it would be my powder of choice if I had both available to me and had to pick one to work up a load. If I already had a good shooting load worked up with IMR 4350 I'd stick with it. However, if both were sitting on a shelf and I could pick either to start with I'd pick the H4350.

For some reason or the other I've found that a barrel will like only one or the other. My 270 win loves h4350. My 300wsm only likes imr4350.
Also pressure limits were cartridge specific as to which was the slower powder so I've decided to not take the powder burn comparison chart as gospel! !!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.