28 nosler 195 berger RE33 testing

Link didn't work but I have Wyatt boxes in both of my Borden timberline long actions. Action must he machined to accommodate the longer box by a gunsmith.

Nothing came up on my computer either with that link you posted. Timber338 is correct on the actions having to be machined for that box. Its not hard to do on a mill but the predator comes ready for the wyatts extended box that works with the long throated 28 nosler.

Yes it can used as a repeater. The action will need to be modified for it. That length is for rum cartridges. The wyatts cfe12 is the one to use for the nosler as it is 3.825"

I am having a 338 Edge being build on Borden action that was milled for Wyatt box and I hope that the milling work is universal for CFE-9 and CFE-12?

Anyway, I was thinking about a 7mm Rum switch barrel set up until I read rave reviews of the 28 Nosler. I wonder why the 7mm Rum is finicky compared to the 7mm rum especially with all of these great powder's that has been coming out the last 5 year's, I don't recall this much advancement in powder in the last 30 year's unless I was brain wash by advertisement.
It appear's that Nosler is putting a lot R&D in the 28 Nosler loading data and that got my attention as compared to the 7mm RUM.

I stayed away from the 7 rum based on some friends experience with it. I did a ladder test w the 28 nosler at 400 off a bipod and a full grain of powder spread was 1" or less off the bipod. It did this throughout a 3 gr spread in powder. Each charge moved up a hair on the target but had its own tiny 1" group. At the upper end there was a .6 gr wide node at 400 that was around a half inch. I loaded in the middle of it and it has been my test load ever since with all of them I have built.

The milling work is not universal for the cfe-9 and cfe 12. You will need to tell Jim which one you want it for. The 9 is longer and would be the one to go with for the edge.

First depth I tested was .020 off and it hammered. Didn't see a need to tinker considering customers are shooting in the .0s, .1s and low .2s with at that depth w reloader 33. The hybrids are very insensitive to seating depth so its not a big deal. Ive shot the 180 hybrids in my 284 Winchester anywhere from .020-.065 off and they still shot lights out.

Hot ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going with the 28 Nosler route. What barrel twist ratio do I need for 195 grain Berger only?
I will be ordering from Broughton.

Hot ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going with the 28 Nosler route. What barrel twist ratio do I need for 195 grain Berger only?
I will be ordering from Broughton.
Norseman,
1-8 is our OPTIMUM twist rate based on a worst case scenario of 59 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level. Altitude is a big factor in making up for a lack (slower) twist rate than what a bullet may need at sea level . Run some data on our TWIST RATE CALCULATOR found here: Twist RAte Stability Calculator Updated | Berger Bullets Blog
And how to interpret your Stability Factor ( SG) here Berger Bullets Twist Rate Recommendations by Eric Stecker & Bryan Litz | Berger Bullets

Ryan, thanks for all the info you posting... do you and your costumers find the RL33 to be stable with that load? differed temperatures?

Temp stability depends on your parameters;
Person A told me it is stable as it held zero at 1,300 yards in a 40 degree temperature rise.
Person B told me it gave more velocity(quite a bit more) but wasn't as stable as H1000 and not stable enough for his purpose.
Person A holds the current 1,000 yard 10 shot group record while Person B was shooting softball size rocks at 1,800 yards in North Idaho where they can have a near 100 degree temp swing from summer to winter.
It is plenty stable for me and my purposes but as to the original question of stability in the 28 Nosler.....How far are you planning to shoot ?

Temp stability depends on your parameters;
Person A told me it is stable as it held zero at 1,300 yards in a 40 degree temperature rise.
Person B told me it gave more velocity(quite a bit more) but wasn't as stable as H1000 and not stable enough for his purpose.
Person A holds the current 1,000 yard 10 shot group record while Person B was shooting softball size rocks at 1,800 yards in North Idaho where they can have a near 100 degree temp swing from summer to winter.
It is plenty stable for me and my purposes but as to the original question of stability in the 28 Nosler.....How far are you planning to shoot ?

Wedgy I plan to shoot to 1000 Yards at 1100 ft elevation with 25 to 70 temps.. and hope in the near future (i have 19pt) a sheep hunt in WY:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.