28 nosler 195 berger RE33 testing

Having trouble finding the lands with 195 berger.

so here is where I am at. I just got my new 28 nosler back from my gun smith who has built me rifles in the past that have shot amazing and I trust his work. I got him to throat this rifle for the 195's and I built a dummy round that he could build it off of. the coal of the dummy round was 3.740" and I wanted that to be .015" off the lands, making the round 3.755" if it were touching the lands.
So I got it home and wanted to find the lands down to the .001" for my records. he made me a exact replica of my chamber out of the end of the barrel that he cut off. so using that I normally find the lands with easy. this time not to much.
I made a bullet 3.760 to see if it would hit the lands before the case hit and it did. But with out much pressure at all I was able to get the case to bottom out. I thought that maybe because of the extremely long 195 that it might just be easier to push it in as the bullet is not as blunt as others. I then took a 162gr sst that I had laying around and thought I'd use this bullet with my bullet comparator to find the lands. I did this and it worked great giving me a measurement of 2.958" with the comparator zeroed. I then took a 195 and seated it to this exact measurement using the bullet comparator and then measured the coal to see how close it was to what I wanted. the coal of the loaded 195 was 3.705" which is .050" less than I thought it would be. I contacted my gunsmith and told him my problem and he said that It's due to the extreme shape of the 195 and that 3.740" would be .015" off the lands. Now when I make a bullet this long it chambers with ease. which has me confused because there sound be no way I can jam a bullet .035" without it making some kind of resistance. has anyone else ran into this problem with the 195's? or if you have lots of experience what would you recommend?

He also said the taper on the end of the reamer would make it hard to find the lands with the 195.

I got some testing in today and I think I got the load I want.
Range conditions 48degree f 48% humidity 1800da 3-5mph @ 4 o'clock
85gr of rl 33
195 bergers
Coal 3.745 (.015 off lands)
Nosler brass
CCI 250 primers
Velocity 3123fps
Range 640yrds
Group size 1.07"

Attachments

• IMG_3436.jpg
    IMG_3436.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 369
I'm jammed with the Berger 195s at 3.635 oal. Does anyone think I'll have any issues running up to .20 off lands and case capacity? I didn't specify extra throat depth when I had this one chambered.

I think you should get it lengthened. Most smiths would do it for nothing if they built it for you. Think your going to find pressure issues. But before you go and open the throats up why not try it and just start with say 82gr and work up slow see where you hit pressure. Maybe you'll be fine. Oh and let us know how you make out

Hello,

I have just committed to re barreling my 300 win mag rifle to a .28 Nosler.
I have ordered redding type s dies and a barrel is not far off.
Looking to get a reamer made.
Can the people that have experience with this caliber interject with Loaded neck diameters, optimal free bore length for the Berger 195gr bullets and possibly a proven reamer print to share?

regards Sam.

hi cgordon,

i live in ontario & wanted to know if you would be able to give your gunsmiths name. i was interested in 280rem build to handle 162amax to 195 eol.

hi cgordon,

i live in ontario & wanted to know if you would be able to give your gunsmiths name. i was interested in 280rem build to handle 162amax to 195 eol.

I'm sorry I took so long to reply. His name is Lyle Linkatud at
Ultimate Accuracy. He has built some nice 280's 12044854151.

Hi everyone, just joined the website because I have a 28 nosler barrel on the way from carbon six. I would like to leave the free bore at saami specs so I dont limit myself to just the 195 bullet. From everything I've read (maybe I missed something) pretty much everyone who wants to shoot the 195 bullet has a gunsmith use a custom reamer before they ever try the bullet with standard freebore? Is it possible to get the 195 to 3050fps with saami spec freebore and still have a C.O.L. that will still fit a standard rem 700 magazine? Sorry if someone already answered this and I missed it...

Hello,

I have just committed to re barreling my 300 win mag rifle to a .28 Nosler.
I have ordered redding type s dies and a barrel is not far off.
Looking to get a reamer made.
Can the people that have experience with this caliber interject with Loaded neck diameters, optimal free bore length for the Berger 195gr bullets and possibly a proven reamer print to share?

regards Sam.

Wish someone would post this info too!

Just as an fyi my reamer even though it is set up with a very long freebore for the 195s still works great with the 180 eld line of bullets. Ive had many sub 1/4 moa groups from customers with them as well. Theres not really any reason to not use a extended magazine for this cartridge. Let it be throated where it needs to be to optimize powder capacity.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.