28 Nosler & 130gn Absolute Hammers - powder suggestions?

I think you will find that n560 start to be very mild. As long as there is not a bunch of free space in the case go ahead and start there. No sense in making the first trigger pull too exciting! I would start at 82g and work up from there.

Steve, thanks for weighing on this discussion.

Regarding N560, I did some further interpolation from the data on the Vihtavouri site, and then did some ratios between 7mm Weatherby (the closest cartridge on the Viht website) and 28 Nosler, and came up with 81.6 gn as a good starting load for the 130gn AH. That Steve and I independently arrived at the pretty much the same starting point gives me some confidence.

I also did some research for H4831 based on the fact that the 7mm STW is ballistically very similar to 28 Nosler. Because the 7mm STW has been around much longer than the 28 Nosler, there is a lot more load data available and so serves as a good proxy for the 28 Nosler. Reported max load for a 139 gn HNDY SPBT was 76.5 gn, and for a 120 gn Speer SP was 78.5 gn, which implies 77.5 gn is a good starting load for a 130 gn AH.

And, proceeding similarly for H4350, the max loads I found for a 139 gn HNDY SPBT was 71.0gn, and for a 120 gn Sierre SP was 73.0 gn, which implies 72.0 gn is a good stating load for a 130 gn AH.

N560, H4831, and H4350 give a nice range of burn rates to start with.

Last edited:

Recent Posts