28 Nosler & 130gn Absolute Hammers - powder suggestions?

shinbone

I know there is already a thread talking about loads for Absolute Hammers, but it is close to 100 pages long making it pretty hard to sift through for a specific bullet in a specific application . . .

Anyone have good luck with 130gn Absolute Hammers in a 28 Nosler, and have some powder choices to recommend?

Last edited:
Anyone have good luck with 130gn Absolute Hammers in a 28 Nosler, and have some powder choices to recommend?
I will be working up a handload for a 280AI with the 140g Absolute and after much digging around the Absolute Hammer spreadsheet and and email to hammer I will be starting with H4350.

I think I'll start with Vihtavouri N560. I think the following makes sense, but anyone feel free to double check me:

The Vihtavouri website for the 7mm Weatherby (smaller case capacity than the 28 Nosler) shows a max load of 78.2 gn for 120 gn projectile, and a max load of 69.9 gn for a 160 grain projectile. Interpolating between the two would give a max load of 74.0 gn for 140 grain projectile. Since I'm working with a lighter bullet and in a larger case, 74.0 gn should be a pretty conservative place to start.

Anyone see any flaws in that reasoning?

Last edited:
Just an fyi at the start of the absolute hammer page you mentioned is a downloadable spreadsheet that is well put together and ordered based on all those posts. That being said I dont see any 130 AH out of a 28 Nosler but there are some 140 and 150 which may give you a starting point. It has also been a while since I downloaded it. If it is any help I was looking at trying the 130 or 140 out of a 280ai with H4350 based on some other people's experience getting 3200-3400fps.

I think I'll start with Vihtavouri N560. I think the following makes sense, but anyone feel free to double check me:

The Vihtavouri website for the 7mm Weatherby (smaller case capacity than the 28 Nosler) shows a max load of 78.2 gn for 120 gn projectile, and a max load of 69.9 gn for a 160 grain projectile. Interpolating between the two would give a max load of 74.0 gn for 140 grain projectile. Since I'm working with a lighter bullet and in a larger case, 74.0 gn should be a pretty conservative place to start.

Anyone see any flaws in that reasoning?
Yes. You didn't mention how the case fill is. Not keeping a big case like that full enough can lead to bad problems.

you will be surprised to see the top end velocity from your 28 Nos. I didn't expect what I found in my 280 AI as 3400 was easily gotten with the 130 AH and 3285 with the 140 AH. However, my groups shrank considerably when I loaded them to 3325 and 3200 respectively. Like 25% smaller groups. And I could tell the cases were in much better shape.

Recent Posts