.277 140g Accubonds

Catskills

These things shoot really well in my T3X 270WSM at a chronographed 3200fps. However, of the three deer I've harvested with this combination, 2 did not exit even though range was 250-275yds. While one was a huge bodied mule deer, the second was a 200lb whitetail shot through both heavy shoulder joints. In my experience, partitions would have blown through as would Hornady Interlocs. Expansion was enthusiastic but retained weight was 59g or 42%. Is it unfair to expect more retained weight at an impact velocity of 2700fps? This performance tells me a closer shot could be trouble if heavy bone was encountered. To be fair, the third deer, which was shot at 360yds, created a text book wound cavity with a racquet ball sized exit on a quartering away shot that busted up the far shoulder. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 7ED3465D-D80B-413E-BA63-8266ADAD7B45.jpeg
    7ED3465D-D80B-413E-BA63-8266ADAD7B45.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 9231122A-03C8-43EA-BB0F-4162961D6C03.jpeg
    9231122A-03C8-43EA-BB0F-4162961D6C03.jpeg
    569.7 KB · Views: 52
  • FF8B91F5-4150-4119-9427-09C1CEC9F46C.jpeg
    FF8B91F5-4150-4119-9427-09C1CEC9F46C.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 59
These things shoot really well in my T3X 270WSM at a chronographed 3200fps. However, of the three deer I've harvested with this combination, 2 did not exit even though range was 250-275yds. While one was a huge bodied mule deer, the second was a 200lb whitetail shot through both heavy shoulder joints. In my experience, partitions would have blown through as would Hornady Interlocs. Expansion was enthusiastic but retained weight was 59g or 42%. Is it unfair to expect more retained weight at an impact velocity of 2700fps? This performance tells me a closer shot could be trouble if heavy bone was encountered. To be fair, the third deer, which was shot at 360yds, created a text book wound cavity with a racquet ball sized exit on a quartering away shot that busted up the far shoulder. Thoughts?
Jill shoots 130gr ABs in her 270 WSM and they work great on deer. We also have loaded 140gr ABs and same very good results. Shots in the Boiler room with devastating results. I took and 8 Point Doe blowing both lungs out and passed through (100 yds). Spun her around 360 in the same spot and then collapsed.

Also have aT3x 270WSM. I've yet to recover a 140 accubond that has been launched at game. I am curious to what load got you to 3200fps velocity. I keep pressuring out at 3100 with mine with multiple powders.

66g of RL 26 gets me there. I think it's got a tight chamber because I can't get to Alliant max loads without clear pressure signs. It is an accurate load.

It is a lot to ask of a 140 grain expanding bullet to penetrate through both shoulder sockets and still exit; especially on a 200 lb critter.
I have killed a whole lot of deer with Fusion 150 in my 270 WSM and have always gotten exits. They start out at 3080 fps.

Losing more than half of the bullet weight of the Accubond isn't what I would think of as ideal. I have a bunch of Accubonds that I haven't tried on deer yet for my 6.5 CM. But they will start out a lot slower, so maybe losing mass won't be a problem.

I have always gotten exits with 140 AB, but in 270 Win. Bonded bullets tend to have the widest expanded diameters of the different bullet types. Do great damage and penetrate well, but the wider front limits penetration compared to some designs, particularly poking through off hide which can stretch a lot before giving. A partition typically blows off most of front and jacket peels back along base. A mono, even if expands well has gaps between the petals. Both tend to have smaller frontal area - which is why tend to penetrate deeper than a bonded bullet that keeps a wider expanded front. These are generalities but more retained weight may not help in penetration. Depends what you like but looks perfect for me. More penetration may be narrower wound and more tracking. It is always a tradeoff despite what marketers claim:)

Lou

By the way - you will have no problem with close shots unless something wrong with lot of bullets. They may actually exit if more velocity pushes expanded front back closer to shank

Lou

Sounds like the Accubond performed exactly how its supposed to. A little surprised you only had 42% retained weight as i have seen 55-60% in most of my results and with dramatically faster chamberings but in the end, the Accubond is designed to transfer extreme energy within the first 10" of penetration and hold together enough to get through the vitals. In my testing, the standard accubond far outperformed the partition, however, again, the velocity ranges my wildcats work at are pretty high. Above 3200 fps muzzle velocities and the paritions will often fail completely on impact because the partition ruptures. Once this happens, the rear core is blown out the back and penetration stops nearly instantly.

with moderate impact velocity the partitions do better.

again, sounds like the accubond performed exactly how its supposed to. The nice thing at closer range, if your worried about hitting heavy bone, dont hit heavy bone, at closer ranges this is generally easy to do by avoiding the onside shoulder impact.

in my testing i have found the accubonds to be far more consistent then the partition and the hornady interlocks not even in the same category of either of these.

if you want to intentionally aim for heavy bone, you may want to consider a Hammer or Barnes bullet. Lots of good options there but again, the results your seeing look pretty normal for an accubond of that weight range other the. A bit less retained weight from what is average for these bullets.

I thought I'd update experience with this bullet. I took a 5pt bull at 466 yds this fall, hitting it twice. The first went through both scapulas. At this range, I neither heard nor saw any evidence of impact. The second shot hit lower in the chest and breaking the off shoulder above the elbow. This shot visibly rocked the bull which walked 15 yds and piled up. Because the gutless method was used, we only recovered one bullet. It weighed 96.6 grains or 69% of its original weight. This was at a impact velocity of 2275fps.

i also shot a 185lb whitetai breaking the off shoulder at 220yds. The bullet exited. The buck ran 30yds leaving a heavy blood trail.

i continue to be a real fan of this round and am coming to better understand this bullet's limitations. I would not want to have to break the knuckle at close range on a mature bull at close range. Still, it is deadly. One thing I'm certain of is I would not want these to be any softer.

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0632.jpeg
    IMG_0632.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 14
I've never had a deer or pig go more than 50-75 yards with AB's from 110-160 grs. MV 2995-3420.
sometimes 1 hole, sometimes 2.
If you want more consistent exits maybe bumping up to 150gr bullets would help a tad.?
It's a consistent killer for Me, never lacks adequate penetration and always expands.

I thought I'd update experience with this bullet. I took a 5pt bull at 466 yds this fall, hitting it twice. The first went through both scapulas. At this range, I neither heard nor saw any evidence of impact. The second shot hit lower in the chest and breaking the off shoulder above the elbow. This shot visibly rocked the bull which walked 15 yds and piled up. Because the gutless method was used, we only recovered one bullet. It weighed 96.6 grains or 69% of its original weight. This was at a impact velocity of 2275fps.

i also shot a 185lb whitetai breaking the off shoulder at 220yds. The bullet exited. The buck ran 30yds leaving a heavy blood trail.

i continue to be a real fan of this round and am coming to better understand this bullet's limitations. I would not want to have to break the knuckle at close range on a mature bull at close range. Still, it is deadly. One thing I'm certain of is I would not want these to be any softer.
I'm not being critical. To each his own. But this tactic of shoulder shots has never made good sense to me. As a young hunter, I was taught to shoot for the vitals and aim to avoid heavy bone and blood-shot meat. When you destroy the heart and lungs, they can't go far. Ever heard the term "speed kills"? A 140 Accubond, avoiding heavy bone at your impact velocities is going to create a massive shock wave in the chest cavity that will obliterate heart, lungs, aorta, etc. even if it doesn't splinter any ribs. I couldn't care less about exit wounds. I care only about maximum energy transfer to vital organs.

I have always gotten exits with 140 AB, but in 270 Win. Bonded bullets tend to have the widest expanded diameters of the different bullet types. Do great damage and penetrate well, but the wider front limits penetration compared to some designs, particularly poking through off hide which can stretch a lot before giving. A partition typically blows off most of front and jacket peels back along base. A mono, even if expands well has gaps between the petals. Both tend to have smaller frontal area - which is why tend to penetrate deeper than a bonded bullet that keeps a wider expanded front. These are generalities but more retained weight may not help in penetration. Depends what you like but looks perfect for me. More penetration may be narrower wound and more tracking. It is always a tradeoff despite what marketers claim:)

Lou

100% on all points, very well stated, Lou! 👍