.270 wsm powder

shootinfool

I was wondering on any powder suggestions to use in the .270 wsm that you guys have had any luck with. The gun is win mod 70 with a schillin #8 contoure 26 in barrel. I will be shooting the nosler 130 gr ballistic tip and I have, before the new barrel, tried 4831sc and also the reloader 19 powder and was just wondering if there are any others out there that maybe are better for the short mags or that others have had luck in shooting the .270 wsm with. thanks for any help.

I've had best accuracy with RL22 and IMR7828. I've also tried H4831SC, IMR4350, H4350, Hunter, Retumbo and XMR3100. The worst of all these groups was .75". JohnnyK.

For 130's, I had great results with RL19. I currently shoot 140 Accubonds with MagPro. RL22 and IMR7828 work well too, Magpro seems to be faster.

thanks for the replys guys, I have tried reloader 19 and has worked pretty will with the other barrel but was just wondering if there was any other powders out there that may be better as far a velocity and accuracy goes.

Hey goodgrouper, I am using winchester brass, do you have any specific loads to try for reloader 19 and 17. I would really like to try the new reloader 17 but I am having a hard time finding it locally. Sportsmans here in riverdale doesn't stock it and the guy that I asked wasn't even aware that they made a reloader 17 yet. Any suggestions on where to go to get this stuff here in northern utah? thanks again guys.

I would start at 63.0 grains and go up in .5 increments. Somewhere around 63.5-64.0 sure works nice.

No one in Utah has any RL17 to my knowledge. I think I have the only pound that exists in Utah for now. I checked all my sources and I have many beyond the big chain stores and had no luck.

thanks for the help. I guess I'll stay with the reloader 19 but if you have any hookups that can get some, let me know because i sure would like to try some of it. thanks again for the replys.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.