Powder for 270 WSM

altahunter

I have a Tikka T3 LS in 270 WSM with a 24" barrel. I have ordered 150 grain RBBT's from Richard at Wildcat Bullets. Can anyone suggest a decent powder to work with? H1000 was working good with TSX's but I am running low on that so I'm open to suggestions on other brands or if you think I should stay with the H1000. Also how will these bullets perform in the factory 10" twist barrel?

I have the same gun, but in stainless synthetic.

Winchester Brass
Winchester WLRM Primers
130gr Accubond
RL-19 63.5gr

Scary Accurate, shoots 1/4"... I get alot of same hole performance too..

Nosler: bullets, ammunition, rifles, brass, and reloading data.

Just tried this load today:

Winchester Brass
Winchester WLRM primers
115gr Sierra Matchking
RL-19 68gr.

Shooting a little less than 1/2" right now with the 68gr charge. Load seemed to want to go faster. Group tightned up when I went from 66gr to 68gr. I'm going to try another 1/2gr incriment and see what it will do from there.. Both loads are impacting within a 1/2 inch from each other... This means I can shoot both bullets with moving a thing.

Can't wait to try the 110gr TSX:

Barnes is posting - RL-19 71.0gr 3552fps

http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/270WinchesterShortMagnumWeb.pdf

My Tikka sits below a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm scope... Rock Solid!

270WSM powder

Thanx for the info. The gun is a stainless synthetic. My mistake... had just finished up my 12 hour night shift and wasn't paying too much attention to what I wrote there :) I had already went out today and picked up some powder to try (Hodgdon's H4831SC) and will give that a try. Just waiting on the Wildcat Bullets which should be here any day! Can't wait to work up the loads and enter the results in Loadbase. I picked up a Pentax Pioneer 4.5x14x42 for it. Scope is great compared to all the cheapo's I used to use.

If I can get WSM velolicies out of a Win w/no excessive pressure and 140s using RL-22 plus sweet accuracy, I don't see why that powder wouldn't be good to get decent WSM velocities. Just makes sense to me.....

Roy, I agree, RL22 would be my choice with the .270WSM (if I had one). It's an awesome powder! I think the 270wsm would make a fine LR deer rifle if a long enuf tube was used. Wouldn't want anything less than 26". I always thought the .270 Winchester would do anything the 7mm Mag would do if it had a long enuf barrel and a good 140gr bullet was used. JohnnyK.

The RBBT's are cool looking and looks like they will perform well for those really long distance shots. Best of luck! I tried the Hodgdon's H4831SC, but just couldn't seem to work up a load. Here is a pick of my tikka with it's new skin & on the target there are two shots there from the 130gr Accubond:

TikkaCammo.jpg

I have had great results with 140 accubonds and IMR 7828SSC. It is shooting sub.5 " -3 shot groups with good velocity and low SD.

I use the RL-19 for my .270 wsm. It produces sub moa 5 shot groups at 100 yds from bench rest. I use 63.4 grains of powder with a 130 grain nosler balistic tip and get an average velocity of 3060fps. I have also used H4831sc but could not get the accuracy that I wanted. I am considering switching powders though.

I've had success in both velocity and accuracy with Ramshot Magnum and H1000. I couldn't get published velocities with H4831 or Retumbo out of my 24" M70 although the were both very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.