Powder for 270 WSM

JB Short

Hey all, I've been using Rel. 19 with sierra and Barnes bullets, I don't have a chrono so can't say what actual vel. is. My question is are Ramshot magnum, H1000, H4831 powders that I should be using to get better load density and velocity, along with more temp stable. I want to try Hornady 130 SST so if I'm switching bullets maybe time to try a different powder, any thoughts?

JB

Thanks, the 4831 is one of the easiest powders for me to get ahold of so that will be my next buy. I'll keep posted.

JB

H4831 for being temp stable but it won't be the fastest by 120fps+. Most of my hunting is done with 4831.

Magpro is probably the fastest powder but drops off a bit when really cold. 75g will make a 130g go 3350+.

I shoot a lot of Retumbo out of mine, I got better speed out of Magpro but could not get accuracy. H1000 was also great but I couldn't get my hands on any more when doing development. With 130 gr bullets and smaller I used R17 with good success but with the heavier bullets got pressure signs way to early. I think a guy really should try something in the 4350 speed range and the Retumbo range to see what range it's liking, H4831 would maybe be a nice one but haven't tried it.

FWIW

I've run 130 ABs and 130 SSTs with both H4831 and H4350.

The 4831 gave me slightly better groups but 4350 edged it out on velocity.

Either one should be good. I played with Reloader 22 for a bit because I had some around but it did not give me the groups/velocity I was looking for.

Hey all, I've been using Rel. 19 with sierra and Barnes bullets, I don't have a chrono so can't say what actual vel. is. My question is are Ramshot magnum, H1000, H4831 powders that I should be using to get better load density and velocity, along with more temp stable. I want to try Hornady 130 SST so if I'm switching bullets maybe time to try a different powder, any thoughts?

JB

try some Magpro from Accurate Powders. It was designed for the WSM case
gary

Magpro is amazing in my Tikka T3 in .270WSM. Single digit SD's and incredible accuracy and velocity. gun)

Have never tried it in super cold weather so can't comment on that aspect as was brought up on a previous post.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.