270 WSM in an AR

777guy

I'm intrigued by the ballistics of the 270 WSM cartridge.
Considering an AR build in this caliber.
Would love to make this my all-around hunting rifle for coyote, hog, white tail.
Anyone with AR experience in this caliber care to share their experience?
Thanks in advance!

morning, the Browning Bar is a much Cheaper way to
go. + u can get different décor on the metal work.
u can use the mag. action because of bolt facing diameter.
justme gbot tum

Would love to make this my all-around hunting rifle for coyote, hog, white tail.
Thanks in advance!
My advice, if you built or buy one make **** sure it has an adjustable gas block.

morning do to being 73yrs old I still do have my wits. the
bar was a suggestion. thats all. since u agree with the 777
why would a shooter want a ar in 270wsm?? I guess
this would fall the lovers and users of the 6.5cr.
check the # Creedmoors for sale on this site.
u could probably buy a ar 270wsm or a Blauser in
the same caliber and action?
please advise me since u r so opinionated.
justme gbot tum

I played with one in 300 SAUM and it was pretty fun. They're very hard on bolts which is why you don't see very many of the short mags in the AR platform. Magazines are another issue but that can be solved by modifying the feed lips on a standard AR-10 mag and 3D printing inserts and modifying the follower so that the mags function as a single stack, center feed design. And an adjustable gas block is a must!

morning do to being 73yrs old I still do have my wits. the
bar was a suggestion. thats all. since u agree with the 777
why would a shooter want a ar in 270wsm?? I guess
this would fall the lovers and users of the 6.5cr.
check the # Creedmoors for sale on this site.
u could probably buy a ar 270wsm or a Blauser in
the same caliber and action?
please advise me since u r so opinionated.
justme gbot tum

The best reason to have one is because he wants to have one. The AR 10 platform doesn't have to be limited to boring calibers, you can do some very cool stuff with a little time and the right amount of money.

Make sure you use a magnum length gas tube and barrel. Its a rifle length +2". And adjustable gas block. I'm working on a 300wsm right now. It will be a side charger as well.

Thanks in advance!

I've seen a 300 Win Mag and 50 BMG AR upper and Olympic Arms sell a 25, 243 and 223 WSSM upper.

It has been determined by a few SA AR type rifle manufacturers that the WSM case is inferior in web strength on the bottom end of the case versus the SAUM. I am not that knowledgeable about the WSM except that it is has a short neck and is not favorable with it's long case for use in a short action SA AR type or other Semi-Automatic short action rifle. Embedding a long bullet deep into a powder space with other design problems is dangerous.

who ?

It has been determined by a few SA AR type rifle manufacturers that the WSM case is inferior in web strength on the bottom end of the case versus the SAUM. I am not that knowledgeable about the WSM except that it is has a short neck and is not favorable with it's long case for use in a short action SA AR type or other Semi-Automatic short action rifle. Embedding a long bullet deep into a powder space with other design problems is dangerous.

I built a 300 WSM on a DPMS system a few years ago. I have about 700 rounds down the pipe. Chamber and bolt work were done by Mtn. Arms in Orland, Ca. The only issue I had was with gas blocks. The 1st 2 I used were basic steel adjustable blocks and the both broke in half after a few rounds. I then went to a titanium block and no issues since. Used it for an elk hunt right after completion and it took down a 6x7 at 182 yards with a DRT. I did use all premium parts to build the upper and have over 2K into it. I used a DPMS bolt and it has not failed in any way. Love the rifle and the only drawback is it weighs over 12 pounds so it isn't a mountain rifle.

On a side note it has the restriction of mag length when loading. I find that the 180 and 190 grain bullets still work very well but over 200 the loss of powder space limits velocity.

Attachments

• 20190510_105044.jpg
    20190510_105044.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,738
Last edited: