270 Win rebarrel options

Mc Fraser

Hello fellow members!
I have a Tikka T3 lite chambered in 270win. I love the rifle but I also like to try something else.
I want to rebarrel the rifle and I would appreciate your input.
The rifle will be used for hunting under 600yds, min 140gr bullet, at least 2850 MV and I want to build it light so I'll go with a 22in barrel, max 23 in. I live in Canada so let's leave the wildcats aside it's so hard to get supplies up here.
I'm thinking 280ai Because I can get a fast twist rate and shoot 150gr or heavier. Another option is 6.5-284 but I believe 140-150 I kinda max for this cartridge.

1:8.5" or 1:9" .280AI. Has factory ammo available, or headstamped brass if you reload. At 22", you should be able to get a 175 up to 2850. I get 2976 in my 26" w. RL23.

I forgot to mention that I need a temp stable powder. I'm not familiar with RL 26, is it temp stable?
I have had very good stability in sub 60 degree weather. I'm running 62.4 with the 130in fed brass and 62.2w/140 gamechanger in Win brass. Both are shooting at 3140. My es is 3with the 130 and 2fps with the 140 over 5 shots. I ran the 130 over 3200fps and 3190 with the 140 but both shoot sub 1/2moa out to 650yds. The 130 is a dog in the wind but I shoot a 308 alot. The 140 is much better in the wind I've shot 2 coyotes with it both were drt under 250yds so no real bullet performance test. I loaded the 150 interbond for my friend's rifle with Rl26. 24" 3095 is where it shoots. In winchester brass I got an ejector mark at 3175. No bolt lift just a swipe. It was 60 degrees and sunny at 34' above sea level.

It's hard to beat the 270 with modern powder. Barrel weight is a very minor difference going from 26 inch down to 22 or 24. think about it, it's out at the end.

I have a 26 and a 29 in 270 win. The 26 is do for a change and I was looking at a 27 inches and going to 270 AI. Easy to just fire standard 270 if you have to. I have several fire formed rifles.

I use 140 and 150 SPBT rounds with R-26 and have hunted in way below zero F. But I do keep my rounds in a breast pocket before use because I had ballistic tables all printed out for what I thought I was going to be in and the weather really changed

Nothing you shoot will die any faster with a 280 AI than a 270. I think JOC proved that long before today's super bullets and improved powders.

If you must "scratch", you'ld be better off to sell the 270 and buy a new rifle. It would cost you less than rebarrelling.

IMHO a 22" bbl on any high intensity cartridge is silly. Jungle rifles have large bores and short barrels.

I walk thru the "Black Timber" all the time with a 26" 300 H&H. 4" never cost me a shot.

I haven't seen it first hand, but RL26 is supposed be be stable up to about 85F (in terms of low fps change per degF). After that it tends tends to increase fps and pressure at a fast rate, so be careful if you're on the upper end of the charge weight during load development (in cool weather) and then go out and shoot on a scorching day in Canada.

With either the 280ai or 6.5-284 you may want to step the barrel up to at least 24". Both of those rounds could be good. The 6.5-284 could be great with the 156 bergers, but the 280ai would have better bullets available if you hunt larger game like moose up there.

I like the 156gr option. I prefer a shorter barrel (prefer not must have) because I push quite a bit of bush. I also hate to dial turrets, that's why I zero my rifle at 200yds and I learn how to shoot at 500yds just with the scope reticle. A flat shooting cartridge/bullet combo is very important for me. The 270 is a great round, but I feel that I have better options from the action that I have to achieve my goals.

I like the 156gr option. I prefer a shorter barrel (prefer not must have) because I push quite a bit of bush. I also hate to dial turrets, that's why I zero my rifle at 200yds and I learn how to shoot at 500yds just with the scope reticle. A flat shooting cartridge/bullet combo is very important for me. The 270 is a great round, but I feel that I have better options from the action that I have to achieve my goals.
Got ya. I was thinking of the normal long range dialing shots. 140's in a 280ai would be good to you for that. Out to 500 yds wind isn't too bad with lighter bullets, and less hold over from higher velocity is more forgiving. I live and deer hunt in MN and do about the same thing as you want to do. Where I hunt 300 yds is a long shot, so I use a tikka 270, like yours, with a 130 grn bullet and drop compensating reticle. If I hunt where the shot may be longer then I get out my 280ai or 28 nosler custom rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.