7 mag - Options - Cancel - Rebarrel - or New

Maq Attaq

In a conundrum......I want a 7 mm rem mag. Had a TC Encore that I sold. I mainly hunt with my rifles and have a range that we can reach out to 500 yds. Want to be able to work up some handloads and shoot up to 1000 yds, but not something I will do consistently

Option 1. I ordered a Seekins Havak PH2 on cyber Monday. Still no ship date in sight. I have been reading on the Seekins Owners FB page where these are great rifles and have incredible customer service. They are guaranteed for life. I have also been reading where numerous folks have had to send their rifle in due to bolt tightness issues, magazine feed issues etc. I have never had to send a rifle back to the manufacture and really don't want to have to deal with that. I also know that this rifle has everything i'm looking for in my next one. Do I cancel the order or not?

Option 2. Looking at the savage 110 High country, less than $1000 and it has the spiral barrel, spiral bolt, muzzle break, adjustable cheek piece and all my savages shoot very well.

Option 3. I have an older savage 110 in 7 mag. have the action trued, rebarreled, stock and trigger.

My budget for the rifle is up to $2000

What option do I go with????

Stick to option 1. IF you have to send back its NP. Seekins should issue a pickup. I had a mossberg shotgun problem and mossberg issued a pickup. They sent label overnight and UPS showed up to pick it up. But I bet the gun will be fine with NP's.

I mainly hunt with my rifles and have a range that we can reach out to 500 yds. Want to be able to work up some handloads and shoot up to 1000 yds

You need to find a list of 1,000 yard ranges in FL so you can do this. Otherwise you're stuck with 500 yards.

Option 1. I ordered a Seekins Havak PH2 on cyber Monday. Still no ship date in sight. I have been reading on the Seekins Owners FB page where these are great rifles and have incredible customer service. They are guaranteed for life. I have also been reading where numerous folks have had to send their rifle in due to bolt tightness issues, magazine feed issues etc. I have never had to send a rifle back to the manufacture and really don't want to have to deal with that. I also know that this rifle has everything i'm looking for in my next one. Do I cancel the order or not?

I like the Seekins products and have enjoyed using their parts and components. Glen is a superb fellow but popularity can cause some headaches with a business! Poor logistics for manufacturers is causing huge problems. I suggest waiting to see when the line comes to you so you have time to develop loads before hunting season.

Option 2. Looking at the savage 110 High country, less than $1000 and it has the spiral barrel, spiral bolt, muzzle break, adjustable cheek piece and all my savages shoot very well.

The spiral barrel and spiral bolt contribute only to what you think looks appealing, nothing more. Yes, I know you like the fluting but you can live without it.

Shooting well is an opinion which can vary tremendously from shooter to shooter. But, if it satisfies you then there's nothing to stop you from buying this one.

Option 3. I have an older savage 110 in 7 mag. have the action trued, rebarreled, stock and trigger.

All you're saving is the receiver then with this option. I'd buy the new one then, in order to have a backup when hunting. Same ammunition and a working familiarity with the rifle design.

Personally, I'd wait for the Seekins, no question.

Enjoy!

I'd go option 1, it's likely a much nicer rifle in the fit and finish, 110% nicer aesthetically IMO. And it probably will shoot better than most every shooter that ever handles it. It will also carry a ton more value should you decide that you want to do something else.

Option 3 will get a darn fine rifle, probably your best bet if you want something that shoots really small at extended ranges, if you send it off to a good smith for the work. The re-barrel and basic action work will end up close to $1000, leaving maybe $1000 for trigger and stock and that puts you again in very good quality parts. Resale on this one will be probably half the Seekins and you will have similar money in it, but done right it will hammer.

I built a 7 mag from parts I sourced. I got a savage hog hunter in 338 WM for $400 shipped. Sold the barrel and stock for about $200, so netted $200 for the action. Got a used 24" 1:8 McGowan with a muzzle brake for about $300 shipped, and then found a used McMillan stock for another $350. Its getting bedded as we speak. For under $900, I feel like I stole it. It also wears a Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18x44. looking forward to load development.

Stick with option 1. I have an Element in 6.5 PRC and love it; sub MOA with factory ammo but haven't started handload development yet, just been shooting the Hornady Precision Hunter. Been thinking about something bigger, 28 Nosler maybe.

If you want custom or the near custom quality of something like a Seekins, it is a waiting game. Either you are waiting for an order you place to be filled, or you are waiting for a vendor to get parts back in stock so that you can grab them up. The end result is that it is worth it, and your patience will be rewarded. I think when you finally get your Seekins you will probably wonder why you ever considered cutting it loose.

Recent Posts