270 Win for Elk using 130 SST/130 Accubond/130NP

The two hunters that I know that have killed more elk than anyone else I know have killed most of their elk with a .270 Win and a 130 gr. bullet, more than a few were at 400 yds. some even more. The farthest I have shot a elk with a .270 was 305 yds. The bullet I used and the bullet I've loaded for one of my sons who is one of the hunters I previously mentioned is the Speer 130 gr. STBT.

Yes it does
Under ideal conditions I would agree, but when presented with less than an ideal shot, I prefer something with more authority. I've help track 3 bull elk that were shot with a 270, ( one was under 200 yards) we were able to recover 2 of them. One of the animals was shot at roughly 500 yds. with a 130 gr. NP. Bullet performance was textbook, but only perforated one lung. We found him about a half mile from where he was shot. The other one that we were able to recover was shot with a factory Remington 130 gr. Cor-lokt. The bullet penetrated both lungs, but failed to exit, and was found lodged between two ribs on the off side. Wound channel was quite small, and that combined with lack of an exit hole allowed him to travel nearly 3/4 of a mile before bleeding out internally. This animal was shot a a measured 472 yds.. The animal that was lost was hit with an unknown bullet of 150 gr.. The shot was made as the animal was quartering away, and from what I could tell, he was hit too far back. There was some blood from where he was shot, but then the blood trail ended and we lost him in some heavy timber. Range was just under 200 yds.. These are just my personal observations, but they do prove to me that heavier, wider bullets at sufficient velocity kill more reliably. I love my 270's, but I generally carry one of my 300 magnums when hunting elk sized game.

Yeah I wouldn't be trying to punch a 130 grain SST or Berger through an elk at 500 yds at any angle. Glad you found the two. I shoot 150's or heavier. Fairly hot loads at 2944 fps. The Trophy Bonded Tipped 140 grain is a good elk bullet as well.

Yeah I wouldn't be trying to punch a 130 grain SST or Berger through an elk at 500 yds at any angle. Glad you found the two. I shoot 150's or heavier. Fairly hot loads at 2944 fps. The Trophy Bonded Tipped 140 grain is a good elk bullet as well.
When I do use a 270 in elk country, I use 150 gr. NP's loaded at 3000 fps. This is my do-all load in the grand old 270.

my wife center punched the front shoulders of a 6x6 elk [ her 20th elk with that combo] here in montana with a 143 grn eld x [ muzzle velocity 2789 FPS ] @515 yards , bull was DRT on impact
if a 143 eldx out of a creed will punch through a bull elks shoulders elk @ 515 yards I'm pretty sure 130 from a 270 will be just as effective