7mm Accubond longrange anyone use it for elk?

Bull Elk 409yds, MV 2950 fps, double lung shot bullet penetrated both lungs and stopped somewhere on the off side didn't recover bullet, bull lunged up and trotted maybe 30 yds fell over dead..1 inch hole thru both lungs !

I'm sure that the Accubond is an elk killer. But the Partition is the way I go when I'm after racked elk. I put 1 160 grain Partition through-and-through the huge thorax of a 900+ pound bull last Sept. He died. Quick like. As in dead. Scored just under 374. A game warden yanked out two of its lower teeth, took a look an 'em, and told me that my elk was a good 10 years old.

I wouldn't think twice about hunting the largest moose in North America with a 150 grain Partition fired from a .270 Win.

BTW, I up and sone bought 2 boxes of Accubonds for my .270 Win. I might use 'em for elk hunting this season. But I might just save 'em and go with 150 grain Partitions. For some reason, I don't much like changing what works.

Cow elk last week at 330 yards standing in open hay field. Hunter was prone on bipod and bags with a 7 STW and a 175 Long Range Accubond. I heard the bullet hit with a solid whack, but don't know where as the cow was not recovered even after 4 of us with lights looked long and hard. Not one drop of blood was found. Looked the next day too for birds to no avail. So this is inconclusive.

Jeff

Cow elk last week at 330 yards standing in open hay field. Hunter was prone on bipod and bags with a 7 STW and a 175 Long Range Accubond. I heard the bullet hit with a solid whack, but don't know where as the cow was not recovered even after 4 of us with lights looked long and hard. Not one drop of blood was found. Looked the next day too for birds to no avail. So this is inconclusive.

Jeff

I wish we knew where the shot placement was, There is one strike against the ABLR but it is a question mark for sure because it could have been in the guts and she went miles with no blood trail. Jeff Thank you for sharing

James

Cow elk last week at 330 yards standing in open hay field. Hunter was prone on bipod and bags with a 7 STW and a 175 Long Range Accubond.
Jeff

Can you provide a little more insight as to the experience level of the pilot?

Can you provide a little more insight as to the experience level of the pilot?

Well, It was a male in his late 20's. He told me he shoots long range, self taught, and had videos on his phone of him ringing steel out to 1000. We were all in disbelief when the cow didn't go down. After all it was only 330 yards, little to no wind, and 3 of us distinctly heard the impact. The shooter was upset and went the next day to check his rifle and it was on all the way out. I should also add he took a yearling calf elk from the same field a couple days later in the 400 +/- range with one shot, same rifle, same bullet.

I am sorry I do not have more, and I don't wish to offer a negative mind set toward the 7mm 175 LRA. I wish for many reasons we could have recovered the cow, but we have not. As I said, results are inconclusive at best, but I am confident in saying the cow did get a hit. I watched her follow the small herd after the shot for at least 1/2 mile. She was at the rear trailing by 50 to 100 yards of the others. But she was only exhibiting signs of being slow. No blood on her side, ears were not down, no limps, hunch or other signs of being hit. We discussed the possibility that the bullet impacted something else. But it was in an open hay field under a pivot. The next thing that could have produced the sound of the impact was a hill 800 yards away. I don't think that is the answer.

I only offered this as it was fresh in my mind. I absolutely hate inconclusive data. So I hope I have offered what I did in an optimistic manner. Again, we just do not know what happened.

Jeff

Thanks for the additional info Jeff. Yeah, 330yds prone off a tripod should normally be a potshot. A very fair assessment based on the known facts, I would add. Weird stuff happens and can be difficult to sort out without the autopsy...

Jeff

I know it was a calf but what was the autopsy results on the calf he harvested?
Thanks
James

I know it was a calf but what was the autopsy results on the calf he harvested?
Thanks
James

We actually had two elk down about 40 yards apart. The calf shot with the 175 ALR was still alive and kicking when we got there. It was a high shoulder shot. I cut its throat and then went to help a young lady that took the other one with my 300 win mag field dress hers. It was dark and I never even looked inside the calf shot with the ALR.

I see a lot of elk killed, 9 so far this season, 7 of the 9 were taken with my rifles and my loads. I wish I had more personal experience with the ALR's, but I don't. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts