270 Win for Elk using 130 SST/130 Accubond/130NP

I've killed 4 bulls and 3 cows with a 270 win using 140 grain Accubonds and 150 grain Ballistic Tips. One just a shade under 400 yds. No mess, no fuss. That 130 grain Partition load will work just fine. Just hit em in the slats and they tip over. There was a time when I hunted bull elk with my 25-06 and 120 grain Partition's and both bulls I shot died without a rodeo. Good luck and good health to you.

Between the AB or PT I'd shoot whichever shoots the best within your hunting range limitations. Honestly within 350 yards the PT should be just fine. A friend of mine takes most of his bulls with a 308 Win and 165 PT. 300 yards is his range limit with his load.

If you don't mind me asking what is your max load right now i have a load of 55/IMR 4350/130 NP/3078 FPS with 3.23 COL. I just loaded up 5 rounds of 130NP/57Grns/H4831 with 3.30 COL just to see what happpens...
55 grains of !MR 4350 is my sons max load with the 130 gr. Speer bullet that I mentioned, I have shot 55.5 gr. of IMR 4350 in my .270 Win. Winchester Classic Stainless with same bullet, both loads in our guns shoot sub MOA at 100 yds. and perform well on game. I should add that my sons rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard II. I have just wotked up loads for my Winchester pre 64 Model 70 before this past hunting season with the old Hornady 130 gr. Interlock. Worked up to 55.5 grs. with the IMR 4350, and up to 60 grs. of H 4831, IMR 4350 edged out the H 4831 in velocity but not by enough to matter, interestingly, both Fed. 215 Magnum primers and WLR primers both edged out Fed 210 Match primers for lower ES and SD, group size difference was non existence.

Last edited:
Don't know about the 130 SST, but the 140 SST was not impressive on the elk a buddy harvested last year.
270 - 6 shots. None penetrated very far into the animal. After skinning, I was surprised he got it at all. The bullets expanded just under the skin on the entry side. The animal seemed to have expired from all the tiny bullet fragments.
Distance was 100 yards and less for all 6 shots.

No surprise for a SST. Small caliber high velocity Super shock tip and elk don't go together. Good coyote and small deer bullet. In 2008 my buddy blew both front shoulders and a ham off a buck with the same explosive shallow penetration results. 270 win at 100 yds. Hit it in the shoulder the deer whirled around and started running with the front leg doing the helicopter. Follow up shot wasn't any better hitting the big femur bone in the ham. Buck rolled and was trying to get his legs underneath him so he sent another one this time on the opposite shoulder from the first shot. Bloodshot to heck we salvaged a rear qtr and the backstraps. He got 36 lbs from an out of state $300 mule deer tag. Was the last time he shot Hornady Superformance SST's. He's done really well with Nosler Accubonds ever since. On elk and mule deer.

No surprise for a SST. Small caliber high velocity Super shock tip and elk don't go together. Good coyote and small deer bullet. In 2008 my buddy blew both front shoulders and a ham off a buck with the same explosive shallow penetration results. 270 win at 100 yds. Hit it in the shoulder the deer whirled around and started running with the front leg doing the helicopter. Follow up shot wasn't any better hitting the big femur bone in the ham. Buck rolled and was trying to get his legs underneath him so he sent another one this time on the opposite shoulder from the first shot. Bloodshot to heck we salvaged a rear qtr and the backstraps. He got 36 lbs from an out of state $300 mule deer tag. Was the last time he shot Hornady Superformance SST's. He's done really well with Nosler Accubonds ever since. On elk and mule deer.
Well than I ABSOLFREAKINGLUTLY WILL NOT BE USING THE SST FOE ELK!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the Intel

UPDATE !!!!!!!! Went out and ran some loads through the 270 and confirmed that i will be using the IMR 4350/130NP. But i really can't complain about the other loads i tried nothing over 1" groups even with the 130SST/H4831. I even tested a different COL with the IMR 4350/130NP and there was maybe 1/8 difference so i will be sticking with my original load😁😁😁. Thanks for all the advice from everyone

I'm a big fan of Accubonds!!! Very accurate plus hold together. Ballistic tips get a bad rap but are also very effective! I've seen tests on ballistic gel and they out performed a lot of the other popular bullets.

I took an elk last year with the 150gr ABLR in 270 Win and didn't really appreciate how much meat I lost. I ended up shooting my elk at 100 yards and that bullet must have splattered to some degree. I hit right in the shoulder crease but fragments must have went further back because there was stomach content all over that place in that elk. All of the rib meat was covered in it. I've never seen so much meat damage for a shoot right behind the front shoulder. I've shot the regular accubonds for over a decade in my 25-06 and I've never seen those damage meat like this.
270 Win
22" barrel
H4831 56 gr.
Fed 210 primers
2661fps
ES: 6 SD: 2
They are designed for long range expansion and I never reached pressure in my load development so I can't imagine what they would have done if they had more velocity. I am now working on load development using solid copper bullets to prevent that up close lead bullet splatter. I'm a meat hunter so I'm not super into losing meat.

Just picked up an X-Bolt 280 AI. Have some Barnes 145 LRX bullets I found a few weeks ago.
I sure hope it's a meat saver.
1 - Dispatch animal quickly
2 - Save all the meat I can.
The 139 LRX out of my 280 was center of the rib cage. Zero meat loss and the animal didn't take a step after the shot.
I was very lucky to be able to stalk to a 120 yard shot.

IMG_4866.jpg