.270 Win Fast Twist= Needs Catchy Name

Calvin, by lightweights are you including 165's? Would be interested in that
120 haha. Real light.

I've posted about this load on other threads but it's a 120 grain Barnes Tac-tx (originally a .300 blackout bullet) over 89.5 grains (not a typo, it's a dense ball powder lightly compressed in there) of superformance and a fed 215M in Peterson brass. Bullet and bore of the rifle are hex boron nitride treated.

Chronographed average velocity of 4050 feet per second. Probably a tad overpressure but no ejector marks, difficult bolt lift, case stretch, primer pocket blown, or notable web expansion according to the micrometer. But that's 4370 foot pounds out of a 120 grain bullet. It is an off switch. It shoots flatter than factory .257 wby ammo for crying out loud (as in point blank range) and hits much harder.

Savage 111 long range hunter, 26" barrel.

120 haha. Real light.

I've posted about this load on other threads but it's a 120 grain Barnes Tac-tx (originally a .300 blackout bullet) over 89.5 grains (not a typo, it's a dense ball powder lightly compressed in there) of superformance and a fed 215M in Peterson brass. Bullet and bore of the rifle are hex boron nitride treated.

Chronographed average velocity of 4050 feet per second. Probably a tad overpressure but no ejector marks, difficult bolt lift, case stretch, primer pocket blown, or notable web expansion according to the micrometer. But that's 4370 foot pounds out of a 120 grain bullet. It is an off switch. It shoots flatter than factory .257 wby ammo for crying out loud (as in point blank range) and hits much harder.

Savage 111 long range hunter, 26" barrel.
I recently bought some of that hex boron...how do you apply I, I've never seen anything regarding the how-to?

So its whole different cartridge with fast twist, longer barrel and longer throat. So why not give this old cartridge a catchy name for it. We have the .270AI so I think we need something to separate it from the standard cartridge. I am calling my new one .270 Heavy, got .270 Fatboy as suggestion. I am pretty sure the name was for the cartridge, I hope.

What do you think? PLEASE! No CM!
How about the 6.8 Keith-LR... I'm sure Jack O'Connor would love that one. 🤔 😂

So its whole different cartridge with fast twist, longer barrel and longer throat. So why not give this old cartridge a catchy name for it. We have the .270AI so I think we need something to separate it from the standard cartridge. I am calling my new one .270 Heavy, got .270 Fatboy as suggestion. I am pretty sure the name was for the cartridge, I hope.

What do you think? PLEASE! No CM!
270 Win Jack- enough said

Recent Posts