270 WIN BEST POWDER ELK

Yesterday we went to the desert and tested loads for a newly purchased.270 Win. I've always had best accuracy with H4831SC for .270 Win regardless the bullet. Yesterday's test loads had a new winner, H4350 by over .100". Also tested IMR 4451as well. I was shooting the 140 gr. Berger Classic Hunter. The hunter carrying this rifle is a 70 year young lady on an elk hunt. Very mild recoil and sub-MOA. Tomorrow I'll play with the seating and load more of the most accurate to verify them, out to the desert Wednesday morning.

Last edited:
130 ttsx, 145 eldx, 140/150 accubond, 140 gamechanger and reloder 26 will get you some impressive velocity. It will kick like a 7 mag though. I've talked to both the Sierra and hornady techs and both basically told me don't bother with lbs of energy that's and old school thought but more importantly min velocity for the projectile to penetrate, and open. Best wishes.
When my oldest gets to the point to elk hunt with me I'll load the 130 ttsx or a 130 accubond to lose some recoil vs the 150

I'm not sure of the person the OP is helping with reloading.

I'm not sure how recoil tolerant the OP's shooter is so I will suggest H4831 just like a few others have suggested.

Both of my children had no problems shooting 150grn Partitions on top of 57.5 grains of H4831 and the load killed everything the rifles were aimed at.

I had great results with R23 and the 150 NBT in a Model 700 Classic. I also had great speed/accuracy with H4831sc/130 Hornady sp.

The hunter is a stout young man, killed several bucks but never a bull. The load has to be hot for the distance could be longer than closer. The Nosler data for 150s does not have a single load listed close to 3100. Most likely will try to get 133 hammers flying fast as possible with some of these suggested powders.

Nosler's data is usually somewhat conservative. I used 58.5 gr. of REL-22 in Norma cases with 150 gr. Nosler Partitions for a number of years in my 24" barreled Remington 700 and could make 3000 fps before seeing excessive pressure. I currently shoot that same charge weight of REL-23 with the same results. I pillar/glass bedded this rifle, cut an 11 deg. crown on the barrel, and installed a Rifle Basics trigger. Its scoped with a Leupold 4.5 x 14 30 mm V-x3 I side focus scope. It will consistently group . in the .7 range or better. While not my first choice for an elk rifle, I have killed 2 cows, and one decent bull with it at well over 300 yds. I have also shot 2 cows using the Barnes 130 gr. TTSX. With good bullet placement, the 270 will do what you are asking.

Not my choice but assisting a young hunter reload for reg 10 twist 700. Average shot distance this area is 350 yds. Plan on using Hammers. Please offer your thoughts on best starting powder. I have on hand almost all currently popular powders. Thanks!
I use h4831 works perfect and reloader 22 and 23 with my 270wsm

H4831sc was my goto for 20 years but I recently switched to Rel26, gained about 150 -180 fps. 145grn ELDX at 3150fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.