270 Weatherby

A large exit hole with Accubonds is NOT the norm, slightly larger than calibre is my experience in everything from 25 cal, 27, 30, 33 & 37.
This is why they penetrate so deeply and cause a large permanent cavity where it's needed........in the vitals.
I bet those 'pencil holes' were on DEAD animals, and not one's running away.

Anyway, there's no 'wrong' bullet, only wrong 'placement'.

Cheers.

You are definitely right about the placement. I doubt that there is anyone on this forum like this, but I have known too many who shoot even if they can't get a shot in the vitals.

Excellent advice Mr. MM . A caliber that is suitable and proper for the game , and a bullet of proper construction for that game, in an accurate , well bedded and tuned rifle, all loose their value, if the shot placement is poor. My personal opinion, Shooting Deer and Elk at 700 to 1000 yards should only be attempted by those who have practiced , and practiced , to the point of perfection. That is clearly not me . I see every week what wind can do to my 6mm Bench Rest bullets at 100 yards. 1/8 of an inch off if conditions change. I can only imagine what wind can and will do to shot placement 600 yards and beyond. WOW!! Enjoy shooting Boys. Lenny

The 270 cal 165 grain Matrix vlds shoot great out of a 270 Weatherby but you need an 8twist barrel...

Unfortunately Matrix are no longer available in the USA. They shot excellent out of my Mark V .270 WBY (10" twist) out to 800 yards. I switched back to 140 Accubonds.

F9E1B814-963F-472B-8A47-8EE05619D979.jpeg
F9E1B814-963F-472B-8A47-8EE05619D979.jpeg I'm shooting the 140 gr classic hunters at 3400 FPS with RL26 and it is crazy accurate.
Gun is a 26" barrel Mcwhorter

This is 4 shot group at 825 yards

A large exit hole with Accubonds is NOT the norm, slightly larger than calibre is my experience in everything from 25 cal, 27, 30, 33 & 37.
This is why they penetrate so deeply and cause a large permanent cavity where it's needed........in the vitals.
I bet those 'pencil holes' were on DEAD animals, and not one's running away.

Anyway, there's no 'wrong' bullet, only wrong 'placement'.

Cheers.

It was a 28Nosler shooting 160gr ABLR. The Elk was at 350 yards, 3 bullets right behind the shoulder and she just stood there like I missed her.
I have killed dozens of Elk and I know where to shoot them to kill em. It was not a matter of shot placement.
The entrance holes were the same size as the exit holes indicating there was no expansion. She jumped over a fence and made it about 100 yards before expiring.
I know that a Barnes TTSX would have had a different outcome. I have used them to kill Antelope at 50 yards with a neck shot that about took his head off. A moose at 400 yards shot thru the shoulder and turned and I pit another one thru the other shoulder. Recovered both bullets under the hide on the off side. Shot an Elk at 300 yards in the center of the chest it went the full length of his body and broke his hip. Recovered the bullet under the hide. Numerous other Elk and Deer with complete pass thru and never had a pencil hole exit until the ABLR.

The Ram in my avatar was shot from 442 yards with a Barnes 129 gr LRX Bullet over R22 from my Kimber Montana 270 WSM. The Ram was DRT, never moved. Complete pass through. Way more fun shooting him than packing him out of that Hell Hole. Barnes have always Shot very accurately out of every gun I've loaded them for. They kill unfailingly with proper placement and turn the heart and lungs into jelly. The 145 gr LRX shoots cloverleaves (3 shots) in my wife's Kimber Mtn Ascent in 7mm-08 over H414 @ 2,802 fps

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.