270 Weatherby

ksshooter

Hey guys I bought a cooper 270wby rifle and it will be arriving in the next week. I have dies and brass and a few bullets. I'm looking for load data for a good load for deer and elk that will perform well at close as well as extended ranges. I have used the new Sierra Gamechanger bullets in a different rifle and would love to give them a try but am not set on them. Any advice/info/opinions will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Hey guys I bought a cooper 270wby rifle and it will be arriving in the next week. I have dies and brass and a few bullets. I'm looking for load data for a good load for deer and elk that will perform well at close as well as extended ranges. I have used the new Sierra Gamechanger bullets in a different rifle and would love to give them a try but am not set on them. Any advice/info/opinions will be greatly appreciated. TIA
150gr Accubond Long Range, IMR7828 and 210 primers. Up to 3380fps no pressure ,going or confirm next week but I think 3330 fps is going to be my accuracy node. 27" barrel.

KSS -
This ones for you and your Bee
Vihtavuori N560 - 68.7 gr
Nosler 150 LR Accubond
Federal 215 primer
Coal 3.22
Muzzle Vel 3150
Barrel length 26"

I've been playing with 150gr Partitions and RE25 for 3350fps and no pressure signs.
Also dabbling with 150gr ABLR and RETUMBO, RE33 and AR2218/H50BMG. Looks promising velocities are close to 3400fps.

I won't post loads used, my chamber has a 3/8" (.375") throat length.

Cheers.

I load in my built in early spring 1958 24" barreled Husqvarna 3000 rechambered to 270 WBY from 270 Win with 70grs RL22 and 140gr Barnes TSX gives me 3250fps.

It was my grandfather rifle he had the work done he then gave the rifle to my dad I shot my first deer & moose with it over 42 years ago.

I've redressed the rifle now it sits in a OD green Cerakote finished McMillan Sako Hunter stock the barreled action is now Cerakoted satin black I mounted a Leupold VX2 4-12x40mm LR reticle scope.

I am always amazed at how accurate and flat shooting this combo is.

I
I load in my built in early spring 1958 24" barreled Husqvarna 3000 rechambered to 270 WBY from 270 Win with 70grs RL22 and 140gr Barnes TSX gives me 3250fps.

It was my grandfather rifle he had the work done he then gave the rifle to my dad I shot my first deer & moose with it over 42 years ago.

I've redressed the rifle now it sits in a OD green Cerakote finished McMillan Sako Hunter stock the barreled action is now Cerakoted satin black I mounted a Leupold VX2 4-12x40mm LR reticle scope.

I am always amazed at how accurate and flat shooting this combo is.

I shoot a WBY Mark V in .270 WBY. I have taken several elk, a couple of prong horn, and many whitetail and mule deer with it. When I lived in Idaho and hunted elk and deer, I stuck with 150 grain Partitions and 67.9 grains of H4831. My longest shots have been just over 200 yards with no need of second shots. Now I hunt only whitetail and use Sierra 150 grain bullets. There are maybe better powders, but this works well and I still have several pounds.

I have shot and hunted with 270 Weatherby Mag Weatherby Mark V since 1979. I have not hunted a lot , but I did take 2 mule deer (500 yards ) and 1 antelope( 200 yards ) , in Wyoming in 1979 with a 130 grn. bullet , using the Load in the Hornady manual Vol#2 "67.2 Grns 4350 for 3300fps" from a 26 inch BBL. and 67.0 grns of H 4831 using a 150 Grn. Grand Slam( 1979 ) on Elk. Fed 215 M Primers . What a great long range round. I intend to try the 150 grn. Nosler Long Range Accubonds. High BC should be interesting, and fun. BTW, I now use only 130 grn Nosler Ballistic Tips, in all my .270 Win Hunting rifles. very explosive, never an exit hole. Personal favorite choice on Whitetail sized game . Good Luck Buddy

Don't forget about the Barnes TTSX. Have killed everything from Moose to Mouse.
Totally under rated bullet. I have shot Elk with accubonds in 28 Nosler and only had pencil holes for exit wounds. Never had a Barnes copper fail.

Don't forget about the Barnes TTSX. Have killed everything from Moose to Mouse.
Totally under rated bullet. I have shot Elk with accubonds in 28 Nosler and only had pencil holes for exit wounds. Never had a Barnes copper fail.
A large exit hole with Accubonds is NOT the norm, slightly larger than calibre is my experience in everything from 25 cal, 27, 30, 33 & 37.
This is why they penetrate so deeply and cause a large permanent cavity where it's needed........in the vitals.
I bet those 'pencil holes' were on DEAD animals, and not one's running away.

Anyway, there's no 'wrong' bullet, only wrong 'placement'.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.