270 Weatherby Question

GO-FASTER

has anyone resized 7mm wby brass and used in in a 270 wby,I heard you could,I reloaded some they fit fine in my custom gun but have not shot them yet looking for info first

I had a similar question concerning .257 Weatherby brass...I learned that you could take 7mm Remington Magnum or .264 Winchester Magnum brass and run it through the fl sizing die for a .257 Weatherby and shazaam...I had .257 Weatherby brass with the exception of the neck being just a skosh short. I have loaded some up and shot it and it appears to work great. I haven't loaded the stuff up warm at all on the first go around so as to not risk anything harmful but to get a nice final forming on the brass. .34 cents a case beats the heck out of $1.00 a case for the official Weatherby stuff.

thanks for all the info,this site is way cool,
anyone want to share there 270 wby loads?
right now using reloader 22 very fast only shot crony, not paper,cant wait to see groups

thanks

IMR7828 and 140gr Sierra BTSP is getting 3300fps from my Kleingunther K-15 Deluxe. I don't remember the exact powder charge is very close to the Sierra Manual max load.

150 HDY SPILs Flat Base, 71.5 grns R22, Weatherby Brass, Fed 215 GMM Primers. 3265fps at 12' and sub MOA at 200 yds.

Will flat out hammer Whitetails in the 150-230lb class.

Had descent results w/ the IMR 7828 powder but, groups weren't as tight and SD was much greater. Some really like 7828 in the 270 wby. I've had good luck w/ 7828 in the 7 wby.

And on Brass, Yep works like a charm. I just run the 7 wby brass through the 270 FL die and it chambers and shoots great.

If you try that load above start alittle below and work up, it's alittle warm in this rifle.

Good Luck

Reloader

Couple of thoughts

A nosler accubond cost about $.40 a bullet. Norma brass costs about $.85 a piece if you buy 100. Unless you are like me and destroy your brass in pursuit of a few more fps, it will last you a while.

Brass from different manufacturers has different characteristics. Norma brass comes with a very soft neck and a very uniform depth primer pocket and a very uniform small flash holes.

I am not any fanatic about wieghing brass or trimming meplats or ogive lenghts, but I do draw the line at having a box of my best handloads for long range hunting having different head stamps on the cases. I have different headstamps and I keep them seperated and use them for different purposes.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts