.270 bullet

Amre2me2

Setting up two rifles for 5 to 600 yard shots for deer. One is a pre 64 Winchester and the other is a Husqvarna in .270. Looking at the Noser Accu bond in 130 grain. Would like to hear some other options for bullets.

150 Berger VLD
130 gr Barnes TTSX/TSX
130 Swift Scirocco
Any of the ballistic tips
165 Matrix

I'm a 270 Win nut and have been shooting the cartridge for longer than a 45 year old person has lived. I'm also a knot head and opinionated.:rolleyes: Most of what I say is pure fact. . . except for what isn't. :rolleyes:

Back in the day, long prior to the LRH bug, the 130 grain offerings were the goto bullet. About 400 yards was the limit for distance. I was using a Leuy 3-9 VX-II with duplex reticle.

Along comes the LRH bug. Switched to a quality LRH scope. Found it necessary to go with 140 class bullets. bc of 140 were better than 130's and it showed in the shooting.

Anything Nosler and Hornaday BTSPs shot lights out as do Berger 140s.

A good scope with proper reticle for hold over and/or accurate clicks brings the Winnie well beyond a 600 yard deer getter.

I suppose the 150 BT would do well but I as much as practicable I try not to shoot rainbows.:)

The only "con" with the Hornady BTSP is deformation of the lead tip in the magazine. Doesn't seem to affect much other than cosmetics.

Been shooting the 140gr berger for a few years now with good results. I found it to be a good rock hunter out to 1,000 yards.

I'm a 270 Win nut and have been shooting the cartridge for longer than a 45 year old person has lived. I'm also a knot head and opinionated.:rolleyes: Most of what I say is pure fact. . . except for what isn't. :rolleyes:

Back in the day, long prior to the LRH bug, the 130 grain offerings were the goto bullet. About 400 yards was the limit for distance. I was using a Leuy 3-9 VX-II with duplex reticle.

Along comes the LRH bug. Switched to a quality LRH scope. Found it necessary to go with 140 class bullets. bc of 140 were better than 130's and it showed in the shooting.

Anything Nosler and Hornaday BTSPs shot lights out as do Berger 140s.

A good scope with proper reticle for hold over and/or accurate clicks brings the Winnie well beyond a 600 yard deer getter.

I suppose the 150 BT would do well but I as much as practicable I try not to shoot rainbows.:)

The only "con" with the Hornady BTSP is deformation of the lead tip in the magazine. Doesn't seem to affect much other than cosmetics.

I have an old 270win BDL that was my first hunting rifle I bought when I was 14. I am not gonna work on putting it in a good stock and putting a little better glass on it and am gonna be getting some good bullets for it also.

What are your thoughts on those new 130 Classic Hunters from Berger? Looks like their BC is a little higher than even the 140gr. I was thinking pretty serious about them until you mentioned the 140's. Thanks for your help.

I've shot the 140SST out of mine with no complaints. Any 140 grainer moving along at close to 3000fps is nothing to sneeze at. However, after making an effective kill out at 450 yards on this years mule deer with my 7-08 moving the "boring" Hornady 139btsp at 2820fps I'm wondering if the extra charge (read $$$) for the plastic is all that necessary. Yes, the BC is a tad better, but if you get a good LR scope/reticle as Roy suggested the difference isn't an issue IMO.

Regarding the Bergers, I hear good things, but they like them a lot IMO (read $$$).

FEENIX, I would have mentioned the 175 but didn't have any knowledge on stabilization in a typical 10T barrel.

I'm shooting a 270 WSM, so a few hundred more FPS. I was shooting 130 gr Barnes TSX and 135 gr SMK's out of the .270 Winny I had before. The TSX worked good on elk, but shots were relatively close. As royinidaho said, 400 yards is probably a good limit as they run out of steam by then. The 135 SMK's have a BC of .488. They shot pretty good out to 750, but were becoming pretty wind sensitive by then. Currently I'm shooting Berger 140 VLD's at about 3200 fps. They have the same .488 BC, and are getting blown around pretty good at 800, but with steady wind conditions they have shot well at 1077 yards.
I tried the 165 gr Matrix in a 10 twist barrel, but they simply would not stabilize. My usually .5 MOA rifle was shooting 4 MOA.
My experiences, FWIW

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.