.270-8x68 with 180 grain Woodleigh bullet

I saw the biggest elk I have ever seen. It was the last morning out. I got into some thick tree that were the size of my arm and real close together. Twigs popping all around me. I could not see the elk. I sat for a while listening. Twenty minutes later I get up and move to a forrest service road. I go around a bend and up a slight rise and see the back side of an elk in the middle of the trail. I side step and start seeing antlers half way down his back. As I am still side stepping I count tines...7? 8?...he turns his head as I raise my rifle. Thoughts are flashing through my head...Wow he's big...my gun is too little...his eyes meet mine.
I get the scope up he takes two slow steps and my cross hairs find not his chest but his tail. I pan the view finder to get on him and he steps into the trees...gone. I tracked him for two miles. He eventually dove off into a deep thick ravine. He had about six smaller elk with him judging from the tracks.
I never got a shot off. I will use the 180 woodleigh for spring bear.
This summer I will go look for "Fernando" as he will be standing in the middle of a field laughing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.