270-300 Win Mag now feasible

It's great fun to shoot,I did try 5 loads with VV570 just to check for pressure and it's like a shot of NOS> that powder, adds 100fps!! A longer barrel would net some more speed but my rifle is a lighter weight at 6lb 8oz.

I am going to call it early for this hunting season, and go with the 140gr Cutting Edge Bullets. This was in a 12-15 gusty left to right semi sandstorm at 101 degrees.

I may look at the Berger again, but not until January.

I used this bullet on two wild boar in June. One shot each, unlike my experience with Barnes and Boars let let well ventilated animals run awhile.

So now let's see what the 270-300 puts on the bragging board for all of us.

The picture loaded crooked- it should be 90 degrees to the right

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 103
I am going to call it early for this hunting season, and go with the 140gr Cutting Edge Bullets. This was in a 12-15 gusty left to right semi sandstorm at 101 degrees.

I may look at the Berger again, but not until January.

I used this bullet on two wild boar in June. One shot each, unlike my experience with Barnes and Boars let let well ventilated animals run awhile.

So now let's see what the 270-300 puts on the bragging board for all of us.

The picture loaded crooked- it should be 90 degrees to the right
That's a great group,would be my first choice too.I have a box of the 140 CE but have never tried them before.Is the band in if the bullet outside of the case neck on your load?

Yes I will definitely post pics of game taken. I have settled in with the 130 grain Peregrine PlainsMaster with 78.5 grains of Retumbo around 3450 fps.

Bergers.jpg

Sounds like we are SLO for the 270 heavies from Matrix...

Out shooting the 170 Bergers from my Mausingfield 270 Wby...top right is RL 26 @ 72 grs...Ave 3225fps with an ES of 13

Top left is 74 gr of RL26 @ave 3318fps with an ES of 16....

Lower right is 71 gr RL26 @ ave 3192fps, ES 13

View attachment 64583

Sounds like we are SLO for the 270 heavies from Matrix...

Out shooting the 170 Bergers from my Mausingfield 270 Wby...top right is RL 26 @ 72 grs...Ave 3225fps with an ES of 13

Top left is 74 gr of RL26 @ave 3318fps with an ES of 16....

Lower right is 71 gr RL26 @ ave 3192fps, ES 13

LT32,Your fps and groups seem great. What brand and specs on ur barrel I may have missed in the last 57 pages. I'm shooting a 26" Douglas #5 straight taper to .7 plus Harrel brake on a 110 LA . The load I settled on was 170 Berger w/71.5 RE33 in my 270 wby. It shoots .5 to.75 all day everyday.
The Mausingfields seem nice but not sure a $ grand nice? I heard some hymn haws about bolt head and extractor concerns for accuracy . Seems like yours shoots dam good. The only thing I really don't like is the goofy Frankenstein Name.

Gene

Great How far off the lands?

I had to go out and measure it the old way. Push a bullet into the bore, make a mark on the cleaning rod and then measure to the face of the bolt.

I am running my 170 Berger rounds at 3.5" OAL. It is 3.8" to the lands so I am running .3" off. Not .03"...:)

That is a heck of a jump...I had no idea...

LT32,Your fps and groups seem great. What brand and specs on ur barrel I may have missed in the last 57 pages. I'm shooting a 26" Douglas #5 straight taper to .7 plus Harrel brake on a 110 LA . The load I settled on was 170 Berger w/71.5 RE33 in my 270 wby. It shoots .5 to.75 all day everyday.
The Mausingfields seem nice but not sure a $ grand nice? I heard some hymn haws about bolt head and extractor concerns for accuracy . Seems like yours shoots dam good. The only thing I really don't like is the goofy Frankenstein Name.

Gene

I am using a Benchmark 28", 1-9 twist, barrel bolt, fluted Sendero profile. Standard 270 Wby chamber. How long can you load your 270 Wby cartridges in your 110?

This is my first custom action. I like that I can use a barrel bolt and it has interchangeable bolt heads...

I'll chk actual length after I get done w/ my f350 Fix Or Repair Daily.ughhh!!!! I pushed as long as they would reliably feed from staggered blind mag.

Gene

I had to go out and measure it the old way. Push a bullet into the bore, make a mark on the cleaning rod and then measure to the face of the bolt.

I am running my 170 Berger rounds at 3.5" OAL. It is 3.8" to the lands so I am running .3" off. Not .03"...:)

That is a heck of a jump...I had no idea...

Wow!!! .3!!

My lands are a 3.68 on the berger, i took it down to a 3.55, i thought they needed to be closer? Well ill try a few back that far, but i have chosen the Cutting edge bullet for this year, its been extremely consistent.

LT32, finally made it down to Reloading room to check c.o.a.l. they are 3.4". How far off lands? Just right. Lol. No idea but they shoot great. I'll have to check for future reference if throat erosion starts. I have standard wby chamber nothing fancy or special.

Gene

LT32, finally made it down to Reloading room to check c.o.a.l. they are 3.4". How far off lands? Just right. Lol. No idea but they shoot great. I'll have to check for future reference if throat erosion starts. I have standard wby chamber nothing fancy or special.

Gene

That is the COAL (3.4") that I am running in my Mark V action. That means we are .4" off the lands...almost a half an inch...I guess we will have lots of room for setback when we erode our throats...