270-300 Win Mag now feasible

I just ordered some RL33, AA Magpro and VV N570. Will take about a week to get and another week to work up loads but will let you guys know how they perform.

Went and banged gongs at 430 yards.

First shot at the top of the 12" plate. Second shot on the 2" bull. Third shot spun the 6" gong around twice, same with the fourth. Fifth knocked the 6" on the ground and then shot it three times trying to flip it over. My buddy shot it trying to remove all the Orange paint from the bullseye. It has become boring to shoot at 430. . Next We go out to 700 then try to find a place to shoot farther. 75g of Retumbo with the 165 Matrix.

That same load with the Berger 170 was a winner for me too.

3225 ish?

I tried Retumbo with the 150s and have another set ready to go with US869. Will be at the range Friday. I will post my results.

270Dt "I am definitely interested to see what the VV N570 does as it falls between Retumbo and 869."

Me too, from what I have seen they may have similar velocities but the N570 may use 5% less powder. I am at 82g of RL33 with a 165 and have not yet reached full pressure. N570 is precious in this area.

BJD "That same load with the Berger 170 was a winner for me too. 3225 ish?"

I have chrony'd exactly 1 load at 75g of Retumbo with the 165 matrix and with my conservative chrony it registered 3160fps or so(76g was over 3200). 75g is a somewhat mild load. Very little case expansion and cases rechamber easily so they can be neck sized only if wanted.

I did load some of the de-mil'd 300WM Federal brass, just necked down, chamfered, and loaded. Shoots fine if people want some inexpensive brass. It is thicker and has less capacity compared to W-W. American Reloading has it for a reasonable cost. I got 200 for 85$ shipped on a special.

Just got a shipping update and looks like I will get the powders on Thursday. So that will give me time to throw a few loads together for Friday's range trip

What brass have you guys been using for the 270-300WM? I have about a hundred R-P cases and also a bunch of the thicker Federal brass CogburnR referenced and that is what I have been using. I took 10 of each after firing and weighed them and then filled with water and weighed again. I then subtracted the difference and averaged that number and it gave me an average case capacity of 91.4 grains of H2O.

Also makes me wonder if this is why I have been hitting pressure signs a few grains before you guys?

Just got a shipping update and looks like I will get the powders on Thursday. So that will give me time to throw a few loads together for Friday's range trip

What brass have you guys been using for the 270-300WM? I have about a hundred R-P cases and also a bunch of the thicker Federal brass CogburnR referenced and that is what I have been using. I took 10 of each after firing and weighed them and then filled with water and weighed again. I then subtracted the difference and averaged that number and it gave me an average case capacity of 91.4 grains of H2O.

Also makes me wonder if this is why I have been hitting pressure signs a few grains before you guys?

I have been using W-W cases, I have not measured the capacity. I did find this:

Here is what QL lists as far as case capacity.

(Saami spec) 91.5gr

(Federal) 92.0gr

(Norma) 95.5gr

(Remington) 88.0gr

(Winchester) 93.8gr

Regarding "Ladder" usage, I'm new to reloading so my question is seeking to understand not question anyone's methods.

Are you using the ladder method to develop loads because there is no baseline data available? Or because you a seeking max speeds with reasonable accuracy?

I have recently switched to the OCW method and found it to be much faster to find the most accurate load with the highest speed, for establish calibers.

Has anyone tried the new Hornady ELD-X?

Thanks!

Regarding "Ladder" usage, I'm new to reloading so my question is seeking to understand not question anyone's methods.

Are you using the ladder method to develop loads because there is no baseline data available? Or because you a seeking max speeds with reasonable accuracy?

I have recently switched to the OCW method and found it to be much faster to find the most accurate load with the highest speed, for establish calibers.

Thanks!

Hornady has developed an ELD-X in a .277?

Sign us up...

Thanks!

Great idea, i have used the ladder method because on this cartridge i was shooting in the dark with just a 270weTherby to guess at. So i started below their max's and worked up. Once i found a load that had the velocity and decent accuracy, then i tried to fine tune with a .2 gr ladder. Yes it is tedious. I wish i had all the answers, but we seem to be lonely pioneers right now. I have to bring 4 other guns to the range so i have something to do while the barrel cools. I know it has great potential. What does the ocw method say for the Berger 170?

Best data I could find was, RL-25 assuming 160 gr bullet, for 270 Wby Mag, Pressure test loads (1 ea) 68.2, 69.7, 70.5, 71.1. Accuracy test: 69.5, 69.9, 70.2, 70.6, 70.9, 71.1., I shoot 5 shot groups, recording speed, and MOA.

When starting with an established cartridge I go to Nosler's site and get their load data for the bullet weight I will use and start with the powder that they say yields the most accurate results.

I plug that data, max load, into an Excel spreadsheet I have developed and it calculates the pressure test loads and accuracy loads automatically. The sheet also has a section for listing all the critical load data as well as test results and calculates average speed and SD, once the recorded speeds have been loaded in. I manually input MOA for best 3 shots and all 5 shots, because my shooting ability is usually the biggest variable. After the initial accuracy test I take the most accurate load, with highest speed, and load +/- 0.2 grains on each side in 0.1 grain increments to zero in on the best load. So if most accurate was 70.5 I would load 70.3, .4, .5, .6 & .7 and retest.

If you have Microsoft Excel I can clean up a spreadsheet and send it to you if you like, it may take a couple of days though. It has room for all the relative variables that you need to be able to repeat the load for future use.

Using this method I was able to confirm 1/4 MOA load with only 70 rounds and 2 trips to the range for a factory stock Browning 300 WSM, surprised the heck out of me.

Great idea, i have used the ladder method because on this cartridge i was shooting in the dark with just a 270weTherby to guess at. So i started below their max's and worked up. Once i found a load that had the velocity and decent accuracy, then i tried to fine tune with a .2 gr ladder. Yes it is tedious. I wish i had all the answers, but we seem to be lonely pioneers right now. I have to bring 4 other guns to the range so i have something to do while the barrel cools. I know it has great potential. What does the ocw method say for the Berger 170?

Pretty much the same reply I would have given including taking multiple rifles to the range.