265 gr, 338 Accubond

I just shot a bison in Montana with 338LM. 265 ablr, 2840 FPS at sea level. Shot was exactly 200y broadside into the ribs. Broke 2 ribs, bison staggered, went down, but got up. Stood around for a bit and walked off. Tracked it about a mile before my dad finished it with a second shot from .280 AI, From what I can tell the 265 barely made it into one lung, I expect it mostly just blew up after hitting the ribs.

I just shot a bison in Montana with 338LM. 265 ablr, 2840 FPS at sea level. Shot was exactly 200y broadside into the ribs. Broke 2 ribs, bison staggered, went down, but got up. Stood around for a bit and walked off. Tracked it about a mile before my dad finished it with a second shot from .280 AI, From what I can tell the 265 barely made it into one lung, I expect it mostly just blew up after hitting the ribs.
Im glad you posted this because I had the same thing happen on a WHITE TAIL with a 150 out of my 270 ss. A lot of people found it hard to believe, but it happened!
I do think they will be great at long range, but beware of close ups on mass!

Im glad you posted this because I had the same thing happen on a WHITE TAIL with a 150 out of my 270 ss. A lot of people found it hard to believe, but it happened!
I do think they will be great at long range, but beware of close ups on mass!

Yeah, I'm concerned since I live in Alaska and have had a couple bear encounters that helped justify the 338LM. I'm going to have to keep looking for something that will hold up... I'm glad I didn't take a head shot

Yeah, I'm concerned since I live in Alaska and have had a couple bear encounters that helped justify the 338LM. I'm going to have to keep looking for something that will hold up... I'm glad I didn't take a head shot
Probably would have scalped him:D

If you are looking for penetration, try the 300 gr NAB. I test fired into a 24 inch long log in my shop with the 300 NAB and a 300 gr Berger at point blank range. The accubond almost got to my tool box! It penetrated over 20 inches. The berger penetrated around 14 inches. The accubond was a perfect mushroom and the berger was a perfect mess of wood and bullet. The 300 gr Beger kills very well, but hunting in grizzly country doesn't give me confidence in penetrating abilities. The Berger does do a lot of damage though. The accubond penetrates deeply, but doesn't make as big of a wound channel.

If you are looking for penetration, try the 300 gr NAB. I test fired into a 24 inch long log in my shop with the 300 NAB and a 300 gr Berger at point blank range. The accubond almost got to my tool box! It penetrated over 20 inches. The berger penetrated around 14 inches. The accubond was a perfect mushroom and the berger was a perfect mess of wood and bullet. The 300 gr Beger kills very well, but hunting in grizzly country doesn't give me confidence in penetrating abilities. The Berger does do a lot of damage though. The accubond penetrates deeply, but doesn't make as big of a wound channel.
Thank you! 300 NAB will be on my short list to test when I get back home

FYI, my go to load with the 300 gr Accubond in a 338 Rum is 99 gr of RL33 about .010 off the lands if memory serves me. Velocity in my guns is around 2830. This powder charge works for both the 300 berger and the accubond, point of impact at 100 is very close, but the accubond shoots about an inch right compared to the berger. I hunted exclusively with this bullet year before last and got several kills with it, buck antelope, cow elk. Bullet performed well, but is different than shooting a berger. It will bust through bone, but doesn't do as much soft tissue damage. Most bergers that I have shot elk with don't exit. The accubond usually will.

Hello all . I just recently purchased the .33 nosler custom from nosler in Bend Oregon ..
worked up some loads with the 265 ABLR .. will update soon .. anyone else trying the newer .33 ?

Hello all . I just recently purchased the .33 nosler custom from nosler in Bend Oregon ..
worked up some loads with the 265 ABLR .. will update soon .. anyone else trying the newer .33 ?
I have a .33 nosler that i will soon be working up a load for. So far i love it just shooting factory nosler ammo at the moment.
Do you have a load worked up yet with the 265's?

I shot the 265 ABLR last season in my 338 NM. I didn't get a chance to hunt. When I was DOPEing at 950 yards, they grouped pretty well. Compared to the 300 Bergers in accuracy and tunability, the 265 ABLRs haven't impressed me. I have an unopened box debating whether to keep working with them or jump to the 285 ELDMs or back to the 300 Bergers.

All bullets are a compromise of some kind. If I were hunting in country where the critters hunt back I would only carry a solid copper bullet. The Barnes TSX series almost always hold 100% of their initial weight and mushroom perfectly, but their BC suffers a bit.

Since I just where there are no big bears, and it tends to be open country, my main concern is accuracy at long range. I am still testing the 270 ELD-X vs. the 265 Accubond in my 338 LAI.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.