265 gr, 338 Accubond

davewilson

i can't find any info here so i thought i'd ask. has anyone tried these or is this another case of a bunch of hype before releasing them. i have a 338/300UM and this weight seems like a perfect fit.

The Accubond Long Range bullets interestingly don't have pictures of expanded bullets that were traveling at various velocities on impact down to their rated minimum of 1,300 fps posted on the Nosler website. There are pictures of the Partitions, the Ballistic Tip hunting and pictures of plain old Accubonds. Curious. I've been worried that these bullets are too soft if you should encounter game up close though they say they are good up to 3,200 fps. Might be there are no pictures because you wouldn't like the result. What's more, the AB LRs are the only bullets of many that I've loaded, that for some rifles, I could not get to shoot consistently good groups. And they also seem to have inflated BCs. So... there are a few cautions you should keep in mind. Having said all that I may give them a go in my 338 RUM because they probably will work pretty good at true long range - but I haven't done that yet.

I shot a white tail doe with a 142 gr 6.5mm from my .260 Rem going around 2770 at about 40 yards. I was expecting 250+, she decided to surprise me. The shot placement was perfect and the exit wound was maybe an inch in diameter, entrance was a pinprick. When I opened her up, it was pure carnage inside. Near lung was inside out, the far lung was in pieces, half the heart was missing, the trachea and esophagus was severed and the pressure blew stomach contents out of the end and the far ribs had a 6 inch diameter of severe fracturing. I would say that bullet worked just fine and the reason being is I didn't use the 129 which would have been traveling much faster and would have made a heck of a splash on entrance (the old "accubomb" syndrome). Now, as for the .338 ABLR, I definitely plan on trying them out in my .338 LM. I prefer heavy bullets for the above reason but it's worth testing anyway. They haven't been released yet, so aside from the testers, no one has shot them yet.

I don't think the 338 LRAB has been released yet. Hopefully the bc they have put out is accurate. The bc on the 6.5 142gr was out to lunch, even with a fast twist barrel. I think the rest were within the amount Nosler normally inflates numbers by. All of the able will be a slightlytougher bullet than a vld-h by virtue of the bonded core and tapered cup. The tip should make them expand at slightly lower velocities than the tiny hp in a vld, but the should hold together slightly better.

We sent a 142lrab into a piece of concrete house siding in front of three bleach bottles. This was at an impact speed of a little over 3200fps. Found it at the back of the third bottle. Perfect mushroom. I was really surprised. Thought for sure it would of Splattered. Repeated with the 156 Berger twice and both times the jacket separated early and the lead portion fragged in the first bottle.
The 147's were a blend....partial jacket separation to the third jug.

For what it's worth

I called Nosler Friday.
The guy said they were tooling up to make a run of 338 265gr lrab's next week, so this week. Asked when they would be available to buy and was told a month(ish)

While you're waiting for the 338 LRAB bullets, give the 246 Hammer Hunters a try and you'll wonder why you waited for anything else. The 246 HH bullets shoot into very small groups from my 338RUM.
Just a thought.

Almost 200 points of bc. I don't have the extra case capacity for the big horsepower/velocity that you do with the rum. Kinda have to make up the lack of speed with bc to a point.

I use the 329HH in the 375 version I had put together.

image1 - Copy (5).jpeg
ABLR vs ELDX-4.jpg
ABLR vs ELDX-2.jpg
the .338 ABLR was never in stock. I have been following it closely since it was announced.

That's fake news right there ....

I personally bought 500 pcs in 2017 for my 338 Precision Rifled Ordnance (338 Norma Imp) and 338 Edge, prefer them over the 270 gr ELDX

View attachment 145815 View attachment 145816 View attachment 145817

That's fake news right there ....

I personally bought 500 pcs in 2017 for my 338 Precision Rifled Ordnance (338 Norma Imp) and 338 Edge, prefer them over the 270 gr ELDX
Yesterday was the first day I ever received an alert, so I bought some. It may have been fake news to you, but I bet you bought all of them LOL That was humor for the humor impaired.

All that aside, how did they compare to the Hornadys? Were you able to take any game with them? Just curious.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.