.264 win mag

the 140s will shoot even flatter at longer ranges. Yes they do rock. They have been around for a long time but not many people know how they shoot. I like it that way

Have you guys ever tried to work up a load with reloader 25? I am thinking about trying it, but I'm a little worried the burn rate might be a little slow for the .264, I found a load on reloadersnest that shoots a 125 gr partition at over 3300, thought I might try this behind 130 gr. bergers with about 63 grns to start, and I also see sierra gots a 123 gr. matchking with a bc of .510, that's pretty awesome out of a 123 gr. bullet, think I might try it also. I know you're not supposed to hunt with matchkings, but my 2506 kills just fine with the 100 gr. matchking.

try the berger 140 grain VLD they have a bc of 612 for longer range shooting will even work better. Under 1/2" at 100 yards and getting six inch groups at 600 yds. The slower burning powder the better in the .264. I have used the WW2 machine gun powder it has extremely slow burn rate or retumbo works well to. Its an awesome caliber. Always work your way up. Thanks Ron J.

A fellow I work with has used a 264 for many many years. He has brought down at least 20 moose with it. These are at ranges from 125 to 375 yards.
A bigger bang sometimes just makes for a louder miss.
From the results that I have seen with the 264 I am very impressed and am looking to add one to my collection.

To those that say it is too small for elk or moose there is a fellow up here in the frozen north that has taken every big game animal in B.C. with a 22 mag. He is a trapper and carries the 22 mag while on his trap line. He brought down a 1200 lb Griz that was raiding his traps with that 22mag. I would not recommend it but he is a very very good shot and waits for the animal to present the best shop placement.

Hello all. First post. I am a 6.5mm nut. The best 264 140 grain load I have is using Ramshot magnum, nosler brass, federal gold match and the berger 140 hunting VLD. 3240fps out of a 26inch barrel.

As far as the 264 mag goes shhhh dont tell anybody :)

I have owned my Winchester pre-64 Model 70 Westerner since 1996. I still wears the original barrel 26" with a "saturn" muzzle brake on it. I use Barnes bullets, first 130 grain "X", now 120 grain TSX. I have taken many elk, mule deer, blacktail deer, wild hogs and coyotes with it. One bullet per critter is enough, if I do my part.

Recoil on my rifle is like a 243. My nephew just built a .264 on a newer control feed Model 70, it has a 26" Lilja barrel with no break, recoil is slightly more than my rifle, but still quit easy on the shooter.

Perhaps it was a good thing the .264 got a bad rap, if more folks had it, there my be less game around?
MEV

My father bought my 264 WM for me as a young teenager. Being left handed these are rare as hen's teeth. The gun is a custom formed from a Mauser 3000L action mated to a blonde/walnut Fajen stock. The barrel is 24" of unknown make (the only markings are 264WM and WB89)

So far the only loads I've shot out of it are:
62.6grains H4831sc behind a sierra prohunter 120gr with CCI 250's

Next fall I'm hoping to get to hunt elk with it in eastern CO. I'm thinking Retumbo behind Hornady Interbond's would be a good start for elk?

Anyway just thought I would add my name to 264WM brethren.

My father bought my 264 WM for me as a young teenager. Being left handed these are rare as hen's teeth. The gun is a custom formed from a Mauser 3000L action mated to a blonde/walnut Fajen stock. The barrel is 24" of unknown make (the only markings are 264WM and WB89)

So far the only loads I've shot out of it are:
62.6grains H4831sc behind a sierra prohunter 120gr with CCI 250's

Next fall I'm hoping to get to hunt elk with it in eastern CO. I'm thinking Retumbo behind Hornady Interbond's would be a good start for elk?

Anyway just thought I would add my name to 264WM brethren.

For elk I'd try the 140gr accubond. I've been impressed with the penetration they give on game. Retumbo is a great choice if your gun likes it. I shoot H4831 with the accubonds in mine.

Forgive me if this information is elsewhere; will the 140 grain Accubond stabilize in "most" 1-9" twist barrels?

I'm not sure, mine is a 1 in 8 twist. I built it to shoot the 140gr Bergers and worked pretty hard to get a load to work with them without sucess. I played with powder and seating depth quite a bit. I had a long magazine box installed and the rifle modified to work with it to give plenty of room for seating long bullets, but no luck. The first load I tried with the accubonds was a winner and I haven't been able to improve on it yet. My gunsmith built a 264 with the same brand and twist barrel as mine and it loves the Bergers, so it's just my rifle's preference and nothing against Bergers. As anyone who has read my posts knows, I'm a big accubond fan. The last one I shot at game took down a big muley buck at 180yds and penetrated 2.5 ft of deer while retaining 60%. The one caution I'd give is that Nosler doesn't recommend them for impact velocity under 1800fps. For me that's at 710yds according to my ballistics program . I'm not comfortable with my set-up past 600yds so it's not a factor, but it may be for you. I've seen very consistent expansion and weight retention from 30 to 600yds.

Thank you so much for the information. I don't know a whole lot about my barrel other than length and its "tight-ish" chamber. I'm pretty sure its a 1-9" twist, so the 140 grain bullets represent the edge of stabilization. I guess I'll just have to try them in my gun.

Hey guys. I am looking for some people that have practical field info on the .264 win mag. I just recently purchased one and I'm curious of the success (or failures) that others have had with it. And before everyone tells me I could do better with a 7mm win mag or a .270 wsm...I got both and have had good success with both...I just wanted to add the .264 to the collection. Thanks everyone!!
Great caliber for just about anything out to six hundred yards or so from small varmints up to deer sized game.

A little light energy wise for anythnig bigger than that beyond about 600, but if you can put it right through the vitals you can definitely do the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.