.264 win mag

Welcome to the .264 club,! You will love it. I have used one almost exclusively for 30 years for big game up to eland size. Shoot good 140's and it is a good elk round. It is my go to rifle when I need something to reach out and topuch something!! Enjoy!!

Just got this lil bugger. CDL SF .264, had TSX's loaded, wasn't impressed. Now 130 accubonds and IMR7828 (3400fps!). Deadly combo :D Love them 6.5s!

Attachments

• 264.jpg
    264.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 137
I got the 264 bug back in 2001. I purchased a Ruger M-77 with a 24" barrel, and then replaced it with a 26" barrel. I never reloaded myself I use to have Alabama Ammo load rounds for me. I killed mule Deer, Elk and Pronghorn. I let my buddy my rifle and it got stolen. Last year I bought a 7mm Remington Magnum in Weatherby Vanguard and I had it rechambered to 264 Winchester Magnum with a 26" Shilen barrel. I purchased. A lee Breech Lock press and started to do my own loads.

You will love the 264wm, it preforms well with 130gr.AB on whitetails, the recoil is light and they shoot very good. I wil try the 140AB to see it they will shoot as good. The 6.5 bullets 130gr., 140gr. Are freight trains with high SD and you got to love them, they just work.:D

Just got this lil bugger. CDL SF .264, had TSX's loaded, wasn't impressed. Now 130 accubonds and IMR7828 (3400fps!). Deadly combo :D Love them 6.5s!

What a nice set up, like shooting a lightening bolt at them, plants everything you shoot with it with the 130gr.AB(great load). Mine Is a Winchester model 70 classic sporter with 26in. Barrel.
FE:D

New here, its great to see a .264 forum! I have a Ruger hawkeye. With a stainless barrel 24". I will attest to this being a bit of a fussy rifle. Tried 4831, H870, retumbo..etc. all were decent but always a flier in the bunch. The man at the gun shop said to try some ball powder. I have now settled on win760. Seems to work with sierras & hornakdys between 100 &toilet 140 grains with cci250 primers. Just orders a model 70 sporter in 264. Want to see if a 26"barrel makes a big difference.

Does anyone shoot or have experience with sierra 85gr varmint bullets? I have just set up a M70 and would like to try these. I have a 26"barrel with 1:9" twist.

does anyone shoot or have experience with sierra 85gr varmint bullets? I have just set up a m70 and would like to try these. I have a 26"barrel with 1:9" twist.
i have a remington 700 26" stainless barrel
85 & 100 is all i ever shoot in it for varmits or deer.

Okie, so I'm guessing the 85s group well. I used w760 in my 24" hawkeye but other powder,brass,and primer suggestions would be great. Don't want to waste all day if those 85swindows won't fly..thanks!

My dad bought a Westerner 264 in the early '60s. I grew up using it and gave it to my son and he grew up using it. It has filled the freezer with Western Colorado's game animals for a long time including elk and bear. We lived on a ranch and the 264 lived in the pickup as a coyote rifle and was used successfully for years.

Recently I got it back and am thrilled. I put a new Vortex scope on it and have not been able to get better than about 1'' so far with factory 140s. Reading this thread reminds how well it used to shoot, need to figure where the problem is. Uncountable rds fired so I suspect the barrel but need to verify that.

Very nice to read all the good things about this caliber, things have changed a lot since I had the rifle last. Just learning about bullet choices, seems like a whole new caliber.

Jackem,
I have a 9x57 mauser that was my grandfathers so I can relate. I would like to think the 264is coming back into popularity. I like to have something different than the rest of the crowd. Good luck resurrecting your 264!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.