.264 win mag

I been hunting with 264 Win Mag for about 10 years. I've hunted Antelope, mule deer, and Elk. I use 140 gr XLC excellent round for elk. I never had a problem taken Elk from 50 to 400 yds. I used factory load Winchester 140 grain and they were coming out at 3,200 fps but I have a 26 barrel on mine. Remington are quite a bit slower.

Hey guys. I am looking for some people that have practical field info on the .264 win mag. I just recently purchased one and I'm curious of the success (or failures) that others have had with it. And before everyone tells me I could do better with a 7mm win mag or a .270 wsm...I got both and have had good success with both...I just wanted to add the .264 to the collection. Thanks everyone!!
I have owned a 264Win since 1963 always have hand loaded. I have used 100gr for wood chucks and fox. I have used 160gr round nose for moose and deer. I have mostly used the lowest power reloads as I do not get shots at more than 100yds.

I have owned a 264Win since 1963 always have hand loaded. I have used 100gr for wood chucks and fox. I have used 160gr round nose for moose and deer. I have mostly used the lowest power reloads as I do not get shots at more than 100yds.
I have downed a lot of deer with the 85 & 100 Ballistic tips with my 264
hit them above the shoulder and below the spine drops them where they stand every time.

My friend is helping with the Reloading right now. I used to have Alabama Ammo reload my ammo for me but I don't know what happened to their website. They did an excellent job helping find the right load for my first 264 win mag I owned. Now that I had my weatherby Vanguard in the 7mm Remington Magnum rechambered for 264 win mag I got the bug again.

Hey Guys,

Check out the new Cabelas shooting and reloading catalog. They have resurected the Winchester .264 Magnum Westerner. It is on the post "64" action but should still be one fine machine. Has the 26" barrel and all. Who sez this calibre is fading away ???:D

That's cool If they are offering it in 264 Winchester Magnum I sure would Like to buy another one especially if it has a 26" barrel

I agree Sully2 it is a great caliber. Have you seen double tap ammo has a 160 grain woodleigh with 3,200fps?

Bullet : 160gr Woodleigh Weldcore PP

Ballistics : 3020fps - 3240 ft./lbs. - 26.0" bbl. Custom Rem 700
Sorry it was 3020fps

Even with the quoted numbers of 2925 out of a 24" barrel, the 160 grain Weldcore sounds like it could be some serious medicine for the largest ungulates in North America. I'm seriously interested in trying this stuff to see if it will work in my 264WM

I've carried a 264 for the past 3 years. Mine is a Mauser action Bell and Carlson stock and a 24" barrel. I use a 140 gr. partition or a 130 gr. Accubond for hunting. I've killed prarie dogs, coyotes several pronghorn mule deer hogs and elk with this thing. My longest kill is 535 yds on a pronghorn buck. My elk was closer but still a one shot kill. I can't think of a better medium game rifle that will work well on elk. Everyone talks about needing the extra 2 " on the barrel to make this caliber shine but I am very happy with the 24 ". The 6.5 cal. bullets seem to have plenty of knock down power for me and a shorter rifle is just handier in the field. The kick is no more than an 06 using 165gr. bullets.

I was looking for a 6.5 cal. because of the ballistics on the bullets and stumbled across this rifle. This is certainly my go to rifle for whatever I might be hunting. The only drawbacks I see to this caliber is you heat up a barrel quickly and you burn a lot of powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.