264 win mag questions

One five shot group does not tell you much as to SD and accuracy potential. Shoot five sets of groups and average them and you will have a true potential. A 37 fps spread between 5 shots ain't all that bad for a 264 mag.

37 FPS would yield a projected trajectory of approximately 0.9" difference in elevation shooting the Berger 140 VLD hunting bullet, at 600 yards. As stated above, one five shot string means little. Replication leads to validation, validation leads to predictability. Have fun with it, learn it, master it.

Thank You Guys for your vote of confidence! .9 at 600yd. I had no idea! That gives me some real encouragement to keep working. I was talking with a local who has been loading and shooting long range for some time and in his words "There are times I would kill for a 37ft spread. I have shot Weatherby's with nearly 100ft spread and hit the gong 5 of 6 at 1000yds"
Hearing all of this and your answers makes all the difference.
Thanks again!
Im going to load 12 at 75.3, 12 at 75.5, and 12 at 75.7 with those 140 Accubonds and see where she ends up. I think somewhere in there ill find what I am looking for! I cant wait for the 142LR's to hit my bench! Then it will be more work, but for now the bears in SW MT are going to get to smell some 140's:>
Ya still thinking about coming to the mountains in June Tr?
Shoot Straight!

Are you running 75g of Retumbo?? What kind of velocity are you seeing at that level?? I finally purchased a magneto speed and was SHOCKED that my load of 74.5g WC867 is actually running 3320 with a SD of 26 for a ten shot string.
I am waiting for a decent day with light winds to stretch it out to collect the data to have the turrets made for the huskemaw that rifle wears. I still need to get the drop data validated and get the turrets built for it. I've been working on finishing my CFI license...
Is there still time to get a permit for this season?? Next season I am all in for certain. You ever get back to Nebraska for any hunting? We should figure out a trip each way!

UUUUGGGHHH! NO. 65.5gr miss spoke there.
How longs yer barrel Tr? Im shooting 26" and my average is 3119fps with a pro chrono and 65.5, not 75 my bad!
I checked on WC872 and decided not to use it because of temp stability needed here in Montana and when I talked with the distributor he said its really not very stable in temp extreme's and hots would make it hot and colds, cold.
Any thoughts there? I would love to try that stuff because of cost and value! but scared it may not shoot the same if its 0?
Let me know and no its not too late. You just have to purchase 5 days before hunting. Let me know there too!

I did not say anything but I thought if you are getting 70+ grs of Retumbo in a case there had to be something wrong. My rifle has a tight chamber and with 130 Accubond 66.5 grs is my max. 67 grs left ejector marks on the rim and sticky bolt lift.

I was dead set to use H1000 in my 264 until I ran into a stiff bolt lift at just over 3000fps, then I went to the much slower WC867 to get past that, and it certainly does. WC872 is tempurature sensitive as is WC867 anyone who says they aren't hasn't actually shot any. That being said, it's predictable in the rifles I shoot it in. In my 264, I've shot it as cold as 3• (3244) and as hot as 51• (3320). I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it any warmer than that, but I think 70• may be about it before it finds a sticky bolt. I'll have to try it as it warms up this spring some morning. The WC872 is a little slower than WC867, but that may be an advantage with your 26" barreled rifle you should get a very near to full case and a full burn. I'd give it a whirl at least, not to poo-poo Retumbo, but it could tighten up your SD (or not) ymmv. Obviously, you are about exactly on a harmonic node with your current load. Is there another node above that? Yes, just not with Retumbo. Barrel life will be better where you are compared to where my rifle shoots. The next node down for me in my rifle is about right at 3000. IDK If I'd go through the barrel life chasing 100 to 150 fps, but that's totally your call. I did because my 6.5/06 shoots the same 140 Berger right at 3000 fps with less powder. Have to go turn 100LL fuel into noise, I'll PM you late today or tomorrow morning. Be safe, have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.