264 Win Mag

LeePaHunter

I was just curious how a 140gr Nosler Accubond would be for whitetail deer out of my 264 win mag? I have alot of brass ready for reloading and I was wondering how this bullet would perform as no one around home here has one to even ask.

Just about Anything 140g out of a 264 WM will train wreck a deer. Some bullets are better than others for certain situations. For your mostly likely hunting scenario to what bullet does that best.
For instance, if you are inside of 500 yards and may have to thread one the rough a few branches you may find the Accubound or Partition or maybe a Gamekong to be YOUR ideal load. If you are hunting out across the bean field at 500 and beyond you may prefer a Berger VLD or another bullet that has proven to perform at a lower velocity corridor.
I have taken several whitetail from 30 yards to >600 with the 140g Berger VLD, but I don't have any cover to try to thread anything through. I haven't yet had the opportunity to see how the 143 ELDX does, but have a load that shoots 3,168 fps with a SD of 9 that hopefully will get a chance to be proven in January.

I hunt dense woods mainly. So your saying the accubonds would be a good bullet for what I hunt around here. I have never used accubonds before but I have used partitions out of my 300 SAUM with great success. I thought about partitions for my 264 but nobody around here had them in stock in the 140gr but they had the accubonds in stock in 140gr that's why I was curious.

I hunt dense woods mainly. So your saying the accubonds would be a good bullet for what I hunt around here. I have never used accubonds before but I have used partitions out of my 300 SAUM with great success. I thought about partitions for my 264 but nobody around here had them in stock in the 140gr but they had the accubonds in stock in 140gr that's why I was curious.

It will do the trick, with proper placement.

I was actually able to witness the venerable 264 kill a couple of Wyoming mule deer this season with the 140 Accubond. In short, it works just fine; don't worry about it.

t

You already had a devastating cartridge and bullet combination, 300 saum/Partition !!! There's nothing to be gained from the switch s save your money and barrel...the saum, one of the most under rated cartridges of all time, super accurate ! Let that little pip aqueek in the gun cabinet and take a real cartridge in the woods !!

morning, I am a fan of the 6.5-.264 cal. has anybody put a AI 40 degree
shoulder or .264mag.AI together? which to me would b a 6.5x7mmweatherby??lightbulb:)gun)

Thk.U

You already had a devastating cartridge and bullet combination, 300 saum/Partition !!! There's nothing to be gained from the switch s save your money and barrel...the saum, one of the most under rated cartridges of all time, super accurate ! Let that little pip aqueek in the gun cabinet and take a real cartridge in the woods !!

Don't get me wrong I love my 300 SAUM. It is quite the mini canon for the mountains. I was just curious about the accubonds for the 264 seeing as I have alot of empty brass and am out of loaded ammo for it. I have the dies and powders to reload it. I got the gun from my grandfather and enjoys taking it for a walk once a while. I mainly use my 300 saum for the most part or my 35 whelen. But have to agree the 300 saum doesn't get the credit it deserves as far as accuracy and knock down power.

My current go to gun for anything is a pre 64 mod 70 westerner in 264 win shooting 140 Nosler AB at 3180 fps. It's been nicknamed killer because it drops anything that it's pointed at.
I cannot recommend this combination any higher.

I traded with my hunting buddy for a practically new built 264 Win mag. with a Shilen 9 twist barrel 27 3/4" long on a Rem 700 action. Since it had a 9 twist I chose the 130 gr Accubond. Long story short, Retumbo makes it rock, 3350 fps with sub MOA accuracy. I have shot around a dozen deer with it from 25 out to a little over 500 yards with all BANG FLOP. Even the short range kills exhibited the same results. Bullets entered through a shoulder took out the vitals and exit other shoulder with a quarter size hole. I have only recovered one bullet. Fired from 111 yards into a buck almost facing me with a left shoulder angled toward me. Bullet entered left shoulder and was found against the smashed ball joint in the right ham. Bullet weight was 87 grs. and was a text book mushroom. That bullet had to still be doing over 3100 fps at impact. I would say that makes it a good bullet. The 140 AB should work the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.