Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 284 win

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • 270 win

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • 270 wsm

Votes: 17 11.4%

• Total voters
I'd probably go with a standard 280 Rem with a fast enough twist to shoot whatever you think would be the heaviest bullet that you'd ever want to shoot. At least a 24" barrel. Then I'd work up a 120gr or a 140gr load for the kiddo. Definitely put a good recoil pad on it as well. I'd probably start off without the muzzle break...you might not even need it. If you do, you can always add it later.
I built mine on an old turkish mauser action with a laminated stock and a magnum sporter contour barrel. Recoil isn't really that bad with the extra weight and lighter bullets.

Last edited:
Yes, but remember the area is π*R² so 0.264" is 0.0547in² (35.3mm²), 284" is 0.0633in² (40.9mm²), 308 is 0.0745in² (48.1mm²) It's not a linear relationship but exponential in the area of the hole getting punched. 264 to 284 is 7% diameter/14% area and 284 to 308 is 8% diameter/15% area differences. That's not inconsequential. This is all before expansion too, it's a much bigger difference as bullets open up.

IMO to 550yds, that list is ish adequate for deer sized "whatevers" and not for Elk or bigger sized "whatevers" out that far. Closer in maybe so.

My vote is 300 PRC. I have a 6.5 CM for lighter stuff. I would do the 6.5 PRC for hunting if the rifle would allow it but my Kimber 84m is not magnum bolt face capable. Of the rounds on your list the 280AI is the most capable.
I understand your point. But I can tell you after shooting and seeing lots of critters shot with both 7mm and 6.5 variants the difference between the 2 in real world applications is minimal in regards to the size of the holes they leave. It boils down to the size of the cartridge and bullet construction. I've seen the little creed with a 140 eld-m blow bigger holes in deer than the 7mm rem mag with a 150 partition. Load the 7mm rem mag with a 162 or 180 eld-m, well now we have a different ball game.

Sorry OP for getting off track.

Those choices will all do the same thing to about the same distance depending on the bullet. I think this thread will leave you with more questions than answers as you have already gotten suggestions taking you from 6mm to .338. I would make a list of what you want for an action, component availability to include powder, brass, and bullet style for what you want to cover game wise and see what rises to the top.

Hello all I'm looking at getting another rifle that I can pick up and go hunt what ever with like the calibers I already have. I've been looking at 6 5x284,6.5x47,260 rem and 6.5 needmoor for .264 cal.ive looked at 7mm-08 and 280 ai,280 rem for .284 caliber. 270 win or 270 wsm.but can't make my mind up what to go with.i really like the 30 cal which is what I mostly have all but one 270 win that was my grandpa that he gave me.i would like to try a new caliber I've been learning more towards the .284 caliber due to bigger exit hole if tracking is needed but seems like everyone shoots a 264 caliber something theses days but I don't like small holes and I shoot game in the boiler room and some times at 10 yards or closer depending on were I hunt.my max range is 500 to 550 that I'm comfortable shooting at and that's if everything is just right.i like the ballistics of the 264 caliber but like I said I don't like small holes.as far as handloading supplies gos I have powder and primers for all calibers listed just would need everything else and I've noticed. 284 bullets are easier to find at least for me than 264 bullets and .277are.i can find brass and dies for any listed as well. I'm just not sure what to go with.i would like what ever I get to be a good caliber for my 8 year old to use as well when hunting with me.i will put a brake on what ever I pick as well. I would like some insight on theses calibers if possible as well. Thanks and look forward to the recommendation
I use 243 but had 270WSM on antelope in Wyoming. Way over gunned but it shot very well for long distance.

Hello all I'm looking at getting another rifle that I can pick up and go hunt what ever with like the calibers I already have. I've been looking at 6 5x284,6.5x47,260 rem and 6.5 needmoor for .264 cal.ive looked at 7mm-08 and 280 ai,280 rem for .284 caliber. 270 win or 270 wsm.but can't make my mind up what to go with.i really like the 30 cal which is what I mostly have all but one 270 win that was my grandpa that he gave me.i would like to try a new caliber I've been learning more towards the .284 caliber due to bigger exit hole if tracking is needed but seems like everyone shoots a 264 caliber something theses days but I don't like small holes and I shoot game in the boiler room and some times at 10 yards or closer depending on were I hunt.my max range is 500 to 550 that I'm comfortable shooting at and that's if everything is just right.i like the ballistics of the 264 caliber but like I said I don't like small holes.as far as handloading supplies gos I have powder and primers for all calibers listed just would need everything else and I've noticed. 284 bullets are easier to find at least for me than 264 bullets and .277are.i can find brass and dies for any listed as well. I'm just not sure what to go with.i would like what ever I get to be a good caliber for my 8 year old to use as well when hunting with me.i will put a brake on what ever I pick as well. I would like some insight on theses calibers if possible as well. Thanks and look forward to the recommendation
Get a 264 win mag and be happy.
Great performer.

For your son,.. the 6.5 Creedmoor or, 7mm-08, "Down Loaded" with,.. 120 NBT's is Plenty for Deer / Antelope, THEN, go with, Bigger Bullets when, he's able to, Hunt Elk. 143 ELD-X for the 6.5 and 150-162 ELD-X's in, the 7mm-08 later for Elk.
The .270 WSM @ 3,200 FPS with 140's IS, a "Lazer' but, too much Recoil for, Kids,.. UN-less, "Braked" !
PS; you don't need, a .338 Mag. IF you HAVE, a .300 Magnum W/ 200 grainers. Heavy Recoil, will make you Flinch, IN,.. Time !

Last edited:
For your son,.. the 6.5 Creedmoor or, 7mm-08, "Down Loaded" with,.. 120 NBT's is Plenty for Deer / Antelope, THEN, go with, Bigger Bullets when, he's able to, Hunt Elk.
The .270 WSM @ 3,200 FPS with 140's IS, a "Lazer' but, too much Recoil for, Kids,.. UN-less, "Braked"
All joking aside I'm a big 6.5 advocate , but I have about all mentioned and then some . The 280ai or the 280 Rem in a fast twist 1-8 will do any thing you ever want too do on the Norh American Continent if you are a one rifle owner . Put a brake on it with a thread protector from the get go , and be done with it , don't look back . Shoot some Hammers or Accubonds or both and you are set. Get that rifle up and running , there's a lot on this forum that can and will give you all the loading advice you can imagine Good Luck

Being that you have nearly 50 % of the posters saying get something in 7mm , mostly 280 ai , I would not take that advice and would go with the 6% that's votes for the Needmore

I don't recall using the word "need more"! However, I do recall the OP using the term "all around"….which, in my very limited knowledge/experience includes game much larger, tougher, and potentially more dangerous than a Whitetail Deer!

Hence, my suggestion for a cartridge with a bit more kill/stop potential! memtb

I'm a .270 guy but begrudgingly voted 280 ai or 280 as it's just the most logical choice of what's listed IF you're a handloader which you are. If not a handloader 270 win or 270 WSM all the way. If the rifle is more for the kid than for you 6.5 creed is very hard to argue with despite the hate it gets on here, certainly a much better choice for general hunting than any 6mm and people always suggest a 243 for a kids gun...if you can handle a 243 you can handle a 6.5 creed and it's simply more gun, heavier bullets, hooray for exit wounds etc...

I'm Loving, my New 6.5 Creed, Tikka L-H, SS, 24" barrel with, almost NO Recoil using, the 120- 123 grain Bullets and it's, a "Thumper" with, Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X's and a full Charge of, StaBall 65 Powder at, over 2,750 FPS.
It's my New, Light weight, Deer / Antelope and "Steel Fun", Rifle that, I would feel "comfortable" shooting, out to 400 - 450 Yards on, Elk.
YES, I've "Heard that, they will Kill an Elk a Bit, further than that, But, I like being, a bit "conservative", on those, big Wonderful, animals.
My grandson "Popped", a Nice fat, 3X4 Idaho Muley at, 268 yds, One Shot, One Hop, DRT with, a .243 Win and an 87 gr., Berger @ 3,000 FPS.
But the .243 Win. is not, a "real Good", Elk Cartridge ( IMO ), So, we're getting him, a 6.5 Creed, too !
IT will be, "Braked" Til',.. he's older.

Last edited:
I don't recall using the word "need more"! However, I do recall the OP using the term "all around"….which, in my very limited knowledge/experience includes game much larger, tougher, and potentially more dangerous than a Whitetail Deer!

Hence, my suggestion for a cartridge with a bit more kill/stop potential! memtb
makes sense (and I do believe overkill always beats the alternative!) however I'd also assume dangerous game gets consideration all it's own. When I think of an all around North American hunting rifle my first thought isn't kodiak bears or stopping a charging bison haha. Ungulates mostly, deer, elk, moose. Maybe black bear, hogs. For any of these the 280 would do just fine.