260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

• Total voters
When I built my 260 AI, I built it as a single shot,, course several of my other favorite rifles are single shots, Ruger #1s, Shiloh Sharps, Stevens 44 1/2s,
"one shot, one kill" :)

I have owned and shot both ,,,,,,,,

IMO, just get a rem 700 in 30-06, change the barrel to 6mm, and chamber for the 6mm-06 wildcat ,,,,,,, RCBS dies etc ,,,,,

25-06 brass is cheap to buy and neck down ,,,,, if my memory serves me correctly ,,,, I shot the 70gr Nosler B/Tip, IMR-4350 powder and Federal 210M primer ,,,,,,,,,

the rifle was MORE then accurate at 300 yards ,,, and just made the prairie dogs FLY !!!! ,,,,,,,

pop in the 85gr Nosler Partition and take any deer/antelope in North America ,,,,

Whoops ,,,,,,,

I should have read the post little closer ,,,,,,,,,

6.5-06 I have also owned as part of a 4-rifle set of prairie dog rifles ,,,,,,,

use 100gr Nosler B-tips for dogs, & 120gr Nosler partitions for deer/antelope ,,,,,,

federal 210 primer ,,,,, IMR-4350 powder ,,,,,,,,,

easy and fairly cheap to shoot and enjoy ,,,,,,

I've been down this road. My choice was the 260. The difference between the two is same difference between the 308 and the 30/06. The 260 will have less recoil, be slightly cheaper to shoot, and give you the benefits of a short action. Plus your barrel will last longer. However, in a hunting situation, velocity plays a big part in making the kill. Evan though it's only 200ish fps, that really makes a big difference. If you're going to shoot an elk with it, at long range, throw all you can at it. This is why its important to be very realistic of what you're going to do with this rifle. For me, the 260 was exactly what I needed. I'm not a fan of recoil, and I've found this rifle to be very enjoyable to shoot which causes me to be a better shot with it. And lets be honest, the 260 is VERY lethal at reasonable ranges. I have shot a few elk in the past (not with a 260), and I don't think I would use the 260 for an elk rifle. But this is because I have a bigger rifle for that purpose. But if my 260 was all I had, I would hunt elk with it. Just be realistic, and think about exactly what you're going to do with this gun. Where is it going to be most of the time? Whats going to be in the crosshairs most of the time? I'm sure you'll love which ever you choose. The 6.5 is an awesome bullet.

I just got a big bag of free miscellaneous once-fired brass and in that bag it had 73 .243 brass and 35 7mm STW brass (which is what I was hoping would be the majority count...But I was wrong). Anyway... Now that I have all these nice .243 brass and no spare actions to use, what would be a cool wildcat I can use the brass for? I was thinking of .260 AI... But was wondering about ballistics. How well will it push the Berger 140 Hybrids? Max effective range for whitetails? MV using Varget? ME? Good load data? Just the basic questions. Also, how is barrel life?

I just got a big bag of free miscellaneous once-fired brass and in that bag it had 73 .243 brass and 35 7mm STW brass (which is what I was hoping would be the majority count...But I was wrong). Anyway... Now that I have all these nice .243 brass and no spare actions to use, what would be a cool wildcat I can use the brass for? I was thinking of .260 AI... But was wondering about ballistics. How well will it push the Berger 140 Hybrids? Max effective range for whitetails? MV using Varget? ME? Good load data? Just the basic questions. Also, how is barrel life?
6.5 Super LR
I don't have it, but dying to:D. Also
Super LR

6.5 SS, 3200' with 140's in a short action, and the long bullets will fit in the magazine box............Rich:D

How much barrel life and what's it based on. I would be shooting it more for competition and don't want to leave a bunch of time spent making cases on the ground. What is the length? I am loading my 260 to 2.870, 2.9 touches my magazines.

How much barrel life and what's it based on. I would be shooting it more for competition and don't want to leave a bunch of time spent making cases on the ground. What is the length? I am loading my 260 to 2.870, 2.9 touches my magazines.

It is a 300 SAUM (NORMA case) or 7saum other? It is shortened to roughly the same body length as a Creedmore but with a .320" neck. We haven't shot them enough to say exactly what barrel life is, but my 6.5 Sherman has 1700 rounds through it and still shoots well. This case holds 4+ grains less powder than the Sherman and has a longer neck so it should do even better than the Sherman........rich

It is a 300 SAUM (NORMA case) or 7saum other? It is shortened to roughly the same body length as a Creedmore but with a .320" neck. We haven't shot them enough to say exactly what barrel life is, but my 6.5 Sherman has 1700 rounds through it and still shoots well. This case holds 4+ grains less powder than the Sherman and has a longer neck so it should do even better than the Sherman. With 2.9" you should be able to load even the 160's clear to the lands.......rich
It is throated for the 140's being seated at the boat tail junction. We have pushed the 160 Matrix to 3184' in a 29" barrel so 3100' is doable in a 26", but that is MAX!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.