260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

• Total voters
Definitely would be shooting the 24" or 26" and since I can't get great brass for the saum, I'm going to have to say the 260 30degree is the way to go. 50-75 fps on expensive bullets isn't practical when we are shooting thousands of rounds a year.

Definitely would be shooting the 24" or 26" and since I can't get great brass for the saum, I'm going to have to say the 260 30degree is the way to go. 50-75 fps on expensive bullets isn't practical when we are shooting thousands of rounds a year.

Actually, the 300 Norma brass I use is very good. Whether or not it is worth it to you is another question.......Rich

If it's Norma, that is good brass. PM me the details. I have about 800 rounds left on this 260 before I rebarrel (3-4 months max).

Here is the SS on the Norma brass with a 160 Matrix. Also a couple of pics of damage to an elk. If you look closely, you can see that the bullet penetrated to just under the skin on the off side. get-attachment.aspx.jpeg

get-attachment.aspx.jpg

DSCF0689.jpg

I don't want to hijack this thread so please address any further questions regarding the SS or Matrix to the threads relating to them.....thanks/Rich

I have had the 6.5 bug foe a couple years. I finally narrowed it down to the 260 or the 6.5-06. I decided on the 6.5-.06. It filled a gap between the calibers that I have. I then read about the 6.5 Sherman. I talked to Rich and read the several post on this site. This is my first build and I was all ready reloading so why not have a wildcat. The build is in progress and hope to get it back in a couple of months,

By the way, Wildrose and Trickymisfit have excellent taste in music. I am a long time Willie Nelson fan and was turned on to Jerry Jeff Walker by a fishing buddy from the Florida Keys of all places.

lately, I've been thinking too much as usual <g>! As much as I like the idea of a 6.5x57 AI with 140 grain bullets (2900fps), I think there's more to the equation. Perhaps a .257AI necked up to 6.5, but reamed three millimeters deeper at the shoulder for a total length of 60mm. I honestly believe I could get 6.5-06AI ballistics in a case that would fit inside a standard mag well with a high B/C bullet, and yet not push it way back into the case. I think 3050fps is doable. Dies could be made by simply shortening a basic 6.5-06AI sizer, and running the reamer into a .260 seater. There are really three different 6.5x57 rounds. One is just the basic Mauser 6.5x57. The other is the .257x57 necked up (very slightly different). Then there is the 7mmx57 necked down to 6.5. I like the last one best even though the case capacity is slightly less than the others.
gary

lately, I've been thinking too much as usual <g>! As much as I like the idea of a 6.5x57 AI with 140 grain bullets (2900fps), I think there's more to the equation. Perhaps a .257AI necked up to 6.5, but reamed three millimeters deeper at the shoulder for a total length of 60mm. I honestly believe I could get 6.5-06AI ballistics in a case that would fit inside a standard mag well with a high B/C bullet, and yet not push it way back into the case. I think 3050fps is doable. Dies could be made by simply shortening a basic 6.5-06AI sizer, and running the reamer into a .260 seater. There are really three different 6.5x57 rounds. One is just the basic Mauser 6.5x57. The other is the .257x57 necked up (very slightly different). Then there is the 7mmx57 necked down to 6.5. I like the last one best even though the case capacity is slightly less than the others.
gary
You should read the thread on the 26 Nosler then since that's exactly what it was designed to do.

gary

In the case that you would be open for good European constructions I would strongly recommend one of these three:

6,5x65 RWS, a lot of steam and capable of stabilizing heavy bullets due to a fast spin. Absolutely qualified for LRH! Many components to find.
6,5x64 Brenneke, builds on the 270W case, has a modern design and at least (even more) the power than the 6,5x65. Also capable of stabilizing heavy bullets for the purpose of LRH.
6,5x64 Reb, builds also on the 270W case, the most modern design with a 40 degrees shoulder. The case takes a lot of powder, capable of stabilizing heavy bullets and makes this calibre an extraordinary good LR - round.
gun)

Not trying to hijack thread, but I had a question. Rich- is anyone making 6.5 Sherman barrels yet, or do we just have to order reamers and go gauges from you? I believe you mentioned somewhere in this thread that Hornady had the specs for the dies? Do you have detailed descriptions of case prep and load workups anywhere?

Thanks,
Jon

Not trying to hijack thread, but I had a question. Rich- is anyone making 6.5 Sherman barrels yet, or do we just have to order reamers and go gauges from you? I believe you mentioned somewhere in this thread that Hornady had the specs for the dies? Do you have detailed descriptions of case prep and load workups anywhere?

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon...No one making barrels yet but that may be coming. I now have custom dies in stock cheaper than you could order them and not have to wait for months. I do have some write ups on the cartridge and could send them to you if you can pm me your personal e-mail. The reamer and go gauge are available anytime, as are the dies, so you can turn around your build as fast as your smith can schedule it. With the new reloader 33 powder, we are getting 3100'+ with the 160 Matrix and 3200+ with the 150 in a 26" barrel......Rich

I have built two 260s in the past. 10" twist Douglas and 9" Shilen.
I just chambered a 6.5-06 today 8" Shilen, but have not shot it yet.
It looks to me like the difference between 260 and 6.5-06 are small compared to which bullet is chosen.
I just got a load of Nos 142 gr Long Range Accubonds, and hoping for the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.