260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

• Total voters
The Sherman will make 3200' with a 26" barrel and has approx. 11% more capacity than a std. 6.5-06 and 5% more than an A.I. That is why I questioned the 3100' with the improved Mauser case. The barrel on my Sherman has lasted over 1500 rounds and still shoots under 1/2 moa. I think the reason is the neck length and shoulder angle are better than the .284 case, which keeps the flame point contained better inside the neck rather than in the throat. I have heard of 6.5/.284's going south with less firings but have never owned one so can't say for sure.....Rich

I suspect that there's more velocity still in the Sherman case! I may build a 6.5x57AI out of a .260 donor barrel just to actually see what it can do. I do know that the 7x57AI is a very efficient round, and is known to proce some serious velocities, but still never expect it to run with a .280 or the 6.5-06 family

I've heard of guys loosing a 6.5/.284 barrel while doing load development! It's in the case design like nearly all Winchester case designs. Yet most guys will never admit this issue.
gary

I suspect that there's more velocity still in the Sherman case! I may build a 6.5x57AI out of a .260 donor barrel just to actually see what it can do. I do know that the 7x57AI is a very efficient round, and is known to proce some serious velocities, but still never expect it to run with a .280 or the 6.5-06 family

I've heard of guys loosing a 6.5/.284 barrel while doing load development! It's in the case design like nearly all Winchester case designs. Yet most guys will never admit this issue.
gary

Gary.....I think you are correct in more velocity left (IF) I can get my hands on some RWS brass. The ONLY signs of pressure I see in the Sherman case at 3200 are loose primer pockets........Rich

Gary.....I think you are correct in more velocity left (IF) I can get my hands on some RWS brass. The ONLY signs of pressure I see in the Sherman case at 3200 are loose primer pockets........Rich

have been trying to get my hands on some 8x68 RWS brass for sometime now. I think I could build a better case out of it than the .284 case. On the down side, I've heard that it's hard to work with, ad you gotta do a serious anneal before even attempting to reform it. But I think it's the ticket to start a new and better fat case for the 7mm/6.5/30 caliber family.
gary

have been trying to get my hands on some 8x68 RWS brass for sometime now. I think I could build a better case out of it than the .284 case. On the down side, I've heard that it's hard to work with, ad you gotta do a serious anneal before even attempting to reform it. But I think it's the ticket to start a new and better fat case for the 7mm/6.5/30 caliber family.
gary

I used some 6.5x65 RWS brass in my 300 Sherman and it is tough brass. I considered the 68mm case when I designed my 30/375 S.I.......rich

I haven't purchased any for a couple of years but I think I got it from Midsouth or Natchez??. They were about $2 a pop......Rich

I had a handfull of RWS 30-06 brass several years ago, and it was hard as my ex platoon sargent was in basic training! I played around with the cases a little bit. I gave Vito Mitkus three or four of them to see what he thought about them, and he told me that they were very close to bronze. Tobe exact he said they were not all that far from a low grade Ampco bronze. And that is well known as a pain to work with in it's higher number states. So on his advice I split a case lengthwise and flattened it. Sent it to the lab (this case had been fired one time), and they saw everything you had in bronze in it but at lower levels. There was even nickel and a trace of chrome. Without a doubt this is the strongest brass on the market today! Vito asked me what I was wanting to do with the stuff, and I told him I wanted to reform the cases into something around 60mm long, but with the same basic profile. I annealed it per his instructions and actually did make the 60mm long version of 30-06 brass. I wouldn't do it again
gary

I had a handfull of RWS 30-06 brass several years ago, and it was hard as my ex platoon sargent was in basic training! I played around with the cases a little bit. I gave Vito Mitkus three or four of them to see what he thought about them, and he told me that they were very close to bronze. Tobe exact he said they were not all that far from a low grade Ampco bronze. And that is well known as a pain to work with in it's higher number states. So on his advice I split a case lengthwise and flattened it. Sent it to the lab (this case had been fired one time), and they saw everything you had in bronze in it but at lower levels. There was even nickel and a trace of chrome. Without a doubt this is the strongest brass on the market today! Vito asked me what I was wanting to do with the stuff, and I told him I wanted to reform the cases into something around 60mm long, but with the same basic profile. I annealed it per his instructions and actually did make the 60mm long version of 30-06 brass. I wouldn't do it again
gary

Very interesting composition! No wonder it's so darn tough.....Rich

I just bought a Savage predator in 260 and I love the gun. It has a 24 inch barrel and I couldn't get a very high and accurate velocity out of it. I'm shooting h4350 and 140 gr vld at 2650 which loses a bunch of energy past 800 yards. I'm ok with that because I like to actually hunt an animal. I was able to push 130ab's at 2950 but went slower to preserve barrel life. My current load produced a .423 inch 8 shot group and ill take that. My research has me concluding that if you want to humanely kill a large animal at 1000 yards then you'd be wise to go with something in 30 cal. As for coyotes the 260 seems excessive. I shoot a 22-250 for that and have done so now for over 25 years. I don't know anything about anything so keep that in mind.:)

I just bought a Savage predator in 260 and I love the gun. It has a 24 inch barrel and I couldn't get a very high and accurate velocity out of it. I'm shooting h4350 and 140 gr vld at 2650 which loses a bunch of energy past 800 yards. I'm ok with that because I like to actually hunt an animal. I was able to push 130ab's at 2950 but went slower to preserve barrel life. My current load produced a .423 inch 8 shot group and ill take that. My research has me concluding that if you want to humanely kill a large animal at 1000 yards then you'd be wise to go with something in 30 cal. As for coyotes the 260 seems excessive. I shoot a 22-250 for that and have done so now for over 25 years. I don't know anything about anything so keep that in mind.:)
Varget, H-414 and H-380 might give you better performance.

https://www.loaddata.com/members/se...caliberid=8&header=.26 Caliber Reloading Data

With this case size you should be able to utilize most of these powders pretty fully with a 24" bbl.

I use h-414 in my 22-250 with great results. I tried the H-380 in my tikka (22-250) but it liked the 414 better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.