260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

• Total voters
been right thru your area a few times in the past while listening to Jerry Jeff Walker (east coast guys won't know who that is). One of my closest friends is from Abilene
gary
If that's your taste in music you need to get familiar with Gary P Nunn.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E&feature=player_detailpage]What I Like About Texas (new) - YouTube[/ame]

Merry Christmas

If that's your taste in music you need to get familiar with Gary P Nunn.

What I Like About Texas (new) - YouTube

Merry Christmas

wonder how many guys caught the picture of Bob Wills? I think my brother inlaw (former) got real good and drunk in the Broken Spoke many moons ago. Suspect his former wife is still mad about that one! What's the name of the barbeque joint that's nothing but a huge barn and a grill that's about 24 feet long. They said the fire had not been out in years. Art took me there, and the food was world class
gary

Oh, but I do know who Gary P. Nunn is!!! I also like James McMurtry as well. But between Jerry Jeff and E. Wylie Hubbard (probably spelled his name completely wrong) I have to say these are my favorites
gary
That would be "Ray Wylie Hubbard". He and Willie Nelson are probably my two favorite guitar pickers of all time.

You're mixing him up with Robert Earl Keene I think.

One or Ray's latest.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-cFtSPIF4Q&feature=player_detailpage]Ray Wylie Hubbard "Screw You, We're From Texas" - YouTube[/ame]

That would be "Ray Wylie Hubbard". He and Willie Nelson are probably my two favorite guitar pickers of all time.

You're mixing him up with Robert Earl Keene I think.

One or Ray's latest.

Ray Wylie Hubbard "Screw You, We're From Texas" - YouTube

I like all three of them. McMurtry and Keene are real high on my list of Texans, but of them I like Hubbard the best (probably because I like the songs he writes). Jerry Jeff Walker introduced Gary P. Nunn to me on an LP when he sane London Homsick Blues (I think that's the title anyway). I played that record so much that I wore it out, and bought another and another. I think I now own five copies! McMurtry and Robert Earl Keene are kinda hard to find in Indiana, and most of the big ticket outlets (Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds, and Musical Surroundings) have never heard of them. But I can always get my daughter in Plano to pick me up some stuff. By the way Walker and Hubbard most definitly sound better in analog than they do on a CD!! And I mean seriously better! I don't think I've ever seen any analog stuff from Keene and McMurtry. By the way are you aware of the fact that Walker is from Brooklyn NY.?
gary

I like all three of them. McMurtry and Keene are real high on my list of Texans, but of them I like Hubbard the best (probably because I like the songs he writes). Jerry Jeff Walker introduced Gary P. Nunn to me on an LP when he sane London Homsick Blues (I think that's the title anyway). I played that record so much that I wore it out, and bought another and another. I think I now own five copies! McMurtry and Robert Earl Keene are kinda hard to find in Indiana, and most of the big ticket outlets (Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds, and Musical Surroundings) have never heard of them. But I can always get my daughter in Plano to pick me up some stuff. By the way Walker and Hubbard most definitly sound better in analog than they do on a CD!! And I mean seriously better! I don't think I've ever seen any analog stuff from Keene and McMurtry. By the way are you aware of the fact that Walker is from Brooklyn NY.?
gary
Yep to the last and you've got good taste in Music.

Gary P Nunn, Willie, Clint Black, George Strait, and Chris LeDeux, along with a few others kept me sane when I was overseas. ... Well relatively sane.

Kick back put on the head phones, close my eyes and I was home.

Yep to the last and you've got good taste in Music.

Gary P Nunn, Willie, Clint Black, George Strait, and Chris LeDeux, along with a few others kept me sane when I was overseas. ... Well relatively sane.

Kick back put on the head phones, close my eyes and I was home.

If you ever were to see my music collection, you probably die in disbliefe! I own about (it's all guess work at this stage) 5500 to 5750 LP's, and about 1200 CD's and a few SACD's and DVD-A's. I listen to pretty much everything except for polka music (guy has gotta draw a line somewhere) . Acoustic jazz is my main passion, but don't think I don't listen to the other stuff as well. Love Russian classical music (discovered it too late in life), and over the last few years have learned to like light Italian opera. Grew up on bluegrass, and discovered Texas swing when I lived in Oklahoma (love Bob Wills and Asleep At The Wheel). But the one thing I discovered from living in Oklahoma was a guy named Merl Haggared. Probably one of the best song writers in country music ever ( I put him right up there with Hubbard). Over the years I've been lucky enough to meet a lot of musicians in jazz, C&W, and bluegrass.
gary

If you ever were to see my music collection, you probably die in disbliefe! I own about (it's all guess work at this stage) 5500 to 5750 LP's, and about 1200 CD's and a few SACD's and DVD-A's. I listen to pretty much everything except for polka music (guy has gotta draw a line somewhere) . Acoustic jazz is my main passion, but don't think I don't listen to the other stuff as well. Love Russian classical music (discovered it too late in life), and over the last few years have learned to like light Italian opera. Grew up on bluegrass, and discovered Texas swing when I lived in Oklahoma (love Bob Wills and Asleep At The Wheel). But the one thing I discovered from living in Oklahoma was a guy named Merl Haggared. Probably one of the best song writers in country music ever ( I put him right up there with Hubbard). Over the years I've been lucky enough to meet a lot of musicians in jazz, C&W, and bluegrass.
gary
Hard to beat either Haggard or Nelson as far as writing. Both can really tell a story and put it to music.

Hard to beat either Haggard or Nelson as far as writing. Both can really tell a story and put it to music.

when I lived near Lawton the rock & roll stations played Haggard all the time. Never knew much about him, but liked the words he sang. Then when I went to the combat zone the first cook in the mess hall had a large collection of Haggard's stuff. We listened to it thru every meal! His favorite song was played so much, I still hear it in the back of my head every now and then. TV Fix It Man! Not exactly his best tune.

One thing I kinda find interesting these days is all the following Patsy Cline has with young people. I'm talking about the rock groupies! She was dead before most all of them were born!
gary

when I lived near Lawton the rock & roll stations played Haggard all the time. Never knew much about him, but liked the words he sang. Then when I went to the combat zone the first cook in the mess hall had a large collection of Haggard's stuff. We listened to it thru every meal! His favorite song was played so much, I still hear it in the back of my head every now and then. TV Fix It Man! Not exactly his best tune.

One thing I kinda find interesting these days is all the following Patsy Cline has with young people. I'm talking about the rock groupies! She was dead before most all of them were born!
gary
PC and Marty Robbins have perhaps the two most haunting voices in music history. I don't mean that in a bad way, but their voices are so unique and on the old Analog recordings they are so pure that no matter where you are all you need do is hear a word or two and you know it's Pasty or Marty and you can pick up right there and sing along to the end even if it's tune you haven't heard in years.

Man we're killing this thread HA! My apologies to all.

PC and Marty Robbins have perhaps the two most haunting voices in music history. I don't mean that in a bad way, but their voices are so unique and on the old Analog recordings they are so pure that no matter where you are all you need do is hear a word or two and you know it's Pasty or Marty and you can pick up right there and sing along to the end even if it's tune you haven't heard in years.

Man we're killing this thread HA! My apologies to all.

Marty Robbins is another great voice I miss even today. But Ms. Clines voice like you say is haunting! My family down in Nashville knew her well, and she was getting ready to make a serious move into another form of music shortly before her death. I think she would have done well. They recently did a new remastered LP of her hits, but have not heard it yet. It's supposed to be very nice, and they say that they will offer it in 45 rpm! This is nothing like the old big hole discs in the past, but a super high quality LP that comes in two LP's instead of one. The vocals are usually much deeper in these. I noticed it right away with Jenifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" reissue a few years back. (lives right outside Austin).
gary

That's my dilemma as we speak. I'm thinking of the .260,6.5-06, or 6.5x284. Mainly for targets but possibly on deer. I'm looking at the tikka t3, savage varmint hunter, or savage long range hunter. I own a tikka in 22-250 and its a tack driver. I do not own a savage yet, but hear they are as well. The varmint hunter has a heavier barrel that is fluted vs the long range hunter has a slimmer barrel but has a muzzle brake. Thanx for any opinions. Sorry for stealing this thread, but it is closely related.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.