260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

• Total voters
There seem to be as many definitions of accuracy as there are internet experts, ...................................................................... "minute of hillside".
..................................despite being on an old M70 action the thing shoots and shoots easy gun)

"minute of hillside".:D LOL, bigngreen that is top of the line. LOVE IT.

"old M70 action the thing shoots and shoots easy" gun)reminds me of my own old M70 "minute of Moose" event in AK before pipeline, Might get time to tell that story some time, however it was a .270 so it waits.:)

"Anyone" refers to a single person. All I wanted to know is who has shot that rifle that well. If it's you, then say so. By the way your described your abilities to shoot it that well, I thought someone elsy may have. If you've never shot it that well, then how do you know it'll shoot that well? Surely someone has shot it that well, else you're only hoping it does.
He shoots it, he's the judge. Take his word for it or don't.

It's not like your opinion or mine for that matter actually matters. We're not here to add up his scores as it's not a competition and we're not judges.

I hunted with a Rem 700 in 6.5x55 for a few years. Light recoil and it dropped every blacktail and Muley with one shot. Very impressive at reasonable ranges. I am also curious about the 6.5-06 as I am wanting to build a long range hunter/target multi purpose rifle. I hear all the praise going to the 6.5-284 in the 1000 yrd matches but looking at ammo costs I can get .25-06 brass a whole lot cheaper than 284 brass, but I don't know if I will achieve the same accuracy. Has anyone had any personal experience with hunting or target at long ranges with a 6.5-06?

I hunted with a Rem 700 in 6.5x55 for a few years. Light recoil and it dropped every blacktail and Muley with one shot. Very impressive at reasonable ranges. I am also curious about the 6.5-06 as I am wanting to build a long range hunter/target multi purpose rifle. I hear all the praise going to the 6.5-284 in the 1000 yrd matches but looking at ammo costs I can get .25-06 brass a whole lot cheaper than 284 brass, but I don't know if I will achieve the same accuracy. Has anyone had any personal experience with hunting or target at long ranges with a 6.5-06?

I have had plenty of experience with a 6.5-06 A.I. and a 6.5 Sherman (an A.I. on steroids) and they are great, accurate rounds that are effective up to, and including, elk......Rich

I have had plenty of experience with a 6.5-06 A.I. and a 6.5 Sherman (an A.I. on steroids) and they are great, accurate rounds that are effective up to, and including, elk......Rich

I've been wanting to ask you this for a good while now, and for me it's important.

* will the 6.5 Sherman headspace in a 30-06 chamber? Or vise versa? I shoot several 30-06's and have been looking at the 6.5 Sherman. But the grand idea of mixing a 30-06 round in a batch of 6.5's is not a good thing!
gary

I've been wanting to ask you this for a good while now, and for me it's important.

* will the 6.5 Sherman headspace in a 30-06 chamber? Or vise versa? I shoot several 30-06's and have been looking at the 6.5 Sherman. But the grand idea of mixing a 30-06 round in a batch of 6.5's is not a good thing!
gary

Not even close! To my knowledge, it won't headspace in ANY '06 family case since it is dimensionally larger in body and in most cases, longer to the shoulder. Better build that Sherman:D........Rich
p.s. Just realized that I only answered half of the question. The 'o6 would not headspace in a Sherman chamber either because the bullet diameter would stick in the neck. Something like the 25-06 would chamber but worse case there would be the bullet rattling down the barrel and possibly a busted case......

Not even close! To my knowledge, it won't headspace in ANY '06 family case since it is dimensionally larger in body and in most cases, longer to the shoulder. Better build that Sherman:D........Rich
p.s. Just realized that I only answered half of the question. The 'o6 would not headspace in a Sherman chamber either because the bullet diameter would stick in the neck. Something like the 25-06 would chamber but worse case there would be the bullet rattling down the barrel and possibly a busted case......

that's why I quit using the 270 Winchester, and as much as I want the .338-06, I'd have to go with the improved case for saftey issues alone. I'll put that case on my list
gary

Thanks for the reply, I think I will lean toward the 6.5-06. The next issue is finding a custom rifle builder to build one in that caliber. Any suggestions?

6.5-06 AI. Do everything you are looking for. Alittle over sized for yotes, a little undersized for elk, but will work for both.Since you say you are only going to shoot a couple hundred rounds a year, you won't burn that barrel out for quite awhile. In a factory rifle go with a 264 WM.
I don't believe it is undersized for elk. I heard a rumor that hunters in Europe harvest deer, elk , moose, etc with the 6.5x55 swedish. It is a far underated round and the 6.5-06 would only make it more powerful and give it more range.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will lean toward the 6.5-06. The next issue is finding a custom rifle builder to build one in that caliber. Any suggestions?
First check with Len and see if he has any in his inventory or what the wait time for him to come up with one would be.

Next to him, any of the custom gun builders who frequent this site would be equally well recommended.

I don't believe it is undersized for elk. I heard a rumor that hunters in Europe harvest deer, elk , moose, etc with the 6.5x55 swedish. It is a far underated round and the 6.5-06 would only make it more powerful and give it more range.
You would be correct. I believe the Swede is still the most popular big game caliber in Western Europe. It has also taken just about every species of big game around the world over the last half century or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.