26 Nosler????? !!!!!

I'm excited to try the caliber. I ordered 5 of the 26 Nosler Patriot rifles Friday. I probably won't have them for 6 months and 3 of them are already sold. The combination of the factory ammo and a production rifle are going to make this thing attractive to the guys that want to shoot a hot rod caliber without hand loading.

I read an article on the 26 nosler in one of the shooting mags. yesterday, they said it was based on a 7 rum casing. The interesting part for me though was the fact they said the recoil should be slightly more then a .30-06. This is interesting as they also thought it could catch on and be as popular as the .270win was. With recoil slightly more then a .30-06 will the benifits be greater then the 7mag? Not knocking it at all, as I would love to try one out, but I thought the recoil would be less then stated, thus making it more appealling then the 7mag. And yes I do understand recoil varies with different rifle brands and models. It will be interesting to see how it catches on.

Looks like the 300 RUM case is to the 2000's what the 375 H&H case was to the 1900's

A wildcatters dream case to squeeze, cut and fireform, duplicating ballistics already available but in a different shape

Then we have firearms and ammo manufacturers jumping in and developing "new" cartridges that have existed in wildcat form ,

In the case of the 26 Nosler ballistics...... I have to say that John Lazzeroni has been there, done that with his 6.71 (6.5mm) Blackbird but nobody paid attention !!
but then again Mr. Lazzeroni has done "that" with all the bullet calibers, has he not ?

The 26 Nosler and the 6.71 Blackbird are ballistically similar with the Blackbird having a 5 gr edge in capacity but both suffer from less than bullet diameter short necks,
(The Blackbird was my capacity model when I developed the 6.5 Prometheus, on a shorter fatter case and I gave my cartridge a much longer neck at .347" vs the Blackbird and 26 Nosler at .260")

Noslers 6.5 mm cartridge will have a better survival rate because of better powders, bullet designs, bullet coatings, barrel quality and barrel steel treatments ... but mostly because of manufacturers support by providing ammunition, brass and firearms the general public can access and afford !

Will I get a 26 Nosler ? most of course ! I am currently building a light Mt rifle in 300 RUM and will add a barrel in 26 Nosler !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 88
the 300 RUM is getting chopped up as was the 375 H&H for many years...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
26 Nosler and other 6.5 mm cartridges, case size and water capacity comparison

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 102
I'm excited to try the caliber. I ordered 5 of the 26 Nosler Patriot rifles Friday. I probably won't have them for 6 months and 3 of them are already sold. The combination of the factory ammo and a production rifle are going to make this thing attractive to the guys that want to shoot a hot rod caliber without hand loading.

How does one order a 26 Nosler?

AZShooter ,

Not a problem, I figured a lot of folks are curious what the 26 Nosler looks like when compared to other large cased 6.5 cartridges ...

The Ammo Guide website is a fantastic tool and is unmatched in the amount of information it contains regarding metallic cartridges, both factory and wildcats..

I think everybody here on LRH and other shooting/hunting/reloading sites should join and support Ammo Guide ... especially guys that have wildcats of their own, please submit your cartridges.....

I don't know what all the secrecy is about concerning cartridge dimensions and ballistic data, it's not like these wildcats are a new invention or anything... just a frankensteined version of an existing cartridge !

Here is a photo I took of 6.5 mm cartridges I have in my collection, I added the case capacities as shown on the ammo guide website ..,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 55
If the 6.5WSM is getting around 400-600 rounds before the throat is fried, then the 26 Nosler should last around 200-300. Why not step up to 7mm and have more downrange energy,better barrel life and a better selection of powders by stepping up on bore size. I see the 26 Nosler doing well to people who don`t know better. Speed sells!

If the 6.5WSM is getting around 400-600 rounds before the throat is fried...

Says who? The last actual round count I read from a gent who started making 6.5wsm's immediately after the introduction of the WSM case reported north of 1200 rounds before accuracy degraded enough to warrant rebarreling.

t

I read an article on the 26 nosler in one of the shooting mags. yesterday, they said it was based on a 7 rum casing. The interesting part for me though was the fact they said the recoil should be slightly more then a .30-06. This is interesting as they also thought it could catch on and be as popular as the .270win was. With recoil slightly more then a .30-06 will the benifits be greater then the 7mag? Not knocking it at all, as I would love to try one out, but I thought the recoil would be less then stated, thus making it more appealling then the 7mag. And yes I do understand recoil varies with different rifle brands and models. It will be interesting to see how it catches on.
When you compare the same weight bullets it'll beat the 7mm Rem pretty badly. Much higher BC's and velocity.

Out to 400yds which is primarily the range it's being developed for it'll be a laserbeam with very manageable recoil and with the right bullet devastating terminal ballistics.

You can do more with the 7's because of the higher bc heavier bullets without a doubt but especially for deer sized and smaller game it's going to be a phenomenal round.

The biggest attraction it has for me other than just liking 6.5's in general is that I shoot a lot of things on the move, especially hogs and coyotes and the high velocity and flat trajectory make it very appealing for those applications.

The fact you can stretch it or should be able to at least, to a thousand yards and beyond for deer is just an added plus.

I wouldn't dump my 7mm Rem if you're happy with it just to get one, but it's certainly worth getting if you have room in your cabinet for a great 6.5.

If the 6.5WSM is getting around 400-600 rounds before the throat is fried, then the 26 Nosler should last around 200-300. Why not step up to 7mm and have more downrange energy,better barrel life and a better selection of powders by stepping up on bore size. I see the 26 Nosler doing well to people who don`t know better. Speed sells!
That's like saying "Ferraris are only good for people that don't know better".

We're not stupid, we know what we're getting and we're getting what we want.

One of the advantages to the large case is the availability of slow burning powders which will give considerably better barrel life with this case than you would out of a smaller case using faster burning powders and achieving lower velocities.

The real market for these rifles in this caliber is not people that will put hundreds of rounds down range each year, it's average plains/open country hunters of deer and antelope or perhaps coyotes who won't shoot a couple of boxes of shells each year. Barrels last an awfully long time for low volume shooters especially if they are smart enough not to shoot one hot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.