26 Nosler question

JARHEAD1371

I know the upcoming 26 Nosler is very over bore, but if the rifle had a 26" barrel, and handloads for the 160 gr Matrix was loaded down to about 3100 fps, what would the barrel life be like? I'm thinking it would be a step up from the 6.5 4S (SAUM). What are your thoughts?

I am not familiar with the 26Nosler but I do believe that shooting heavy for caliber bullets will help negate the throat washout that occurs faster in over-bore cartridges. I personally think shooting a barrel until it is hot is more detrimental to the throat of a rifle than internal ballistic depreciation. A barrel will only last as long as it will last, so my advise is to find the most accurate load you can and enjoy the rifle. When the accuracy goes south have a new tube installed and enjoy it some more.

It's really not all about velocity. Some experts on here think that pressure is a greater determining factor, on throat erosion, than velocity. Less speed doesnt always mean less pressure. Also neck/ throught length has a direct affect on erosion.
Probably doesnt answer your question, but something to think about.
Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.