26 Nosler or 300 Win Mag

First: I hunt Elk with a .300WM....so full disclosure:D....
BUT HOW dead...is DEAD.? I have seen guys shoot Elk with larger caliber...higher energy rounds than the .300WM....and still not get a clean swift kill.
So let's use some statistical data: In the states of Colorado and New Mexico the 2 rounds used more than any others to take Elk have been the .270 Win and the venerable 30-06.
Look ...I LOVE playing with new to me calibers ...but dead is dead.
Another recently published finding by the FBI compared all common calibers used from .22 to 12 gauge for "threat elimination". Funny as it sounds....the stopping power or...maybe the "killing power" in this scenario was seen as a spread of only 5% from small to large caliber with reasonable shot placement. So?.....
Animals....like humans... CAN be taken with a plethora of different rounds. Test yourself and your weaponas well as the rounds you choose. USE that which you are most confident in. Me....I am comfortable with .300WM. But I have a good friend that is a professional full time hunting guide that has been using only the 6.5 CM for the last couple of years ...and loves the results. Different strokes.....:cool:

I guess when you made the comment "Advocating the use of less than optimum is flat wrong." you were claiming that my recommendation of the 26 nosler was bad...and that you thought it was an inadequate cartridge for the chore at hand or just not optimum...whatever that means. Whatevs - I stand by what I said in my earlier posts. The 26 Nosler is a bad --- round.
It is less than optimal for elk when compared to the .300s at any range. Shooter should decide what they can handle recoil wise.
The 26 Nosler would be a good choice, especially if the OP shoots it better.

This is the only thing you said I would agree with because it it is factual. All the rest indicates your lack of experience. For the OP, go with the 300 if you can shoot it well it is a much better round for elk.

It is less than optimal for elk when compared to the .300s at any range. Shooter should decide what they can handle recoil wise.

This is the only thing you said I would agree with because it it is factual. All the rest indicates your lack of experience. For the OP, go with the 300 if you can shoot it well it is a much better round for elk.
Lol - thats pretty funny. Those energy numbers were factual too, but let's just ignor them because they don't support your argument?

Also - I love it when people come at me without any actual support for their argument. The OP was asking which gun he should take on an elk hunt. I offered my opinion and supported it with some numbers...once again people are stating their opinions as facts.

Holy hell, heaven forbid somebody thinks a new caliber like the 26 nosler is as good an elk caliber at 500 yards as their beloved 300 winny.

But all else isn't equal here - the 26 Nosler's velocity is significantly higher than the 300 win mag. That's why the energy numbers are similar at 500 yards.

I also like energy, I am also a big .264 fan. I also don't let it blind me to the fact that between two similarily constructed bullets travelling at similar speeds, that the one of heavier weight and larger diameter creating a larger wound chanel and, in the case of long range frangible projectiles, the heavier larger diameter pill is sending considerably more fragments and more retained weight or if you will ENERGY into said animal. Speed and velocity are neat and all, as well as going hand in hand. But there's nothing magical about them if the heavier and larger diameter bullet is still in the performance window.

.300WM with 180AB @500 yds should still be travelling 2200fps+ no? Still in the performance window no? The 26 with 140AB might very well be travelling faster at same range but it will not be enough to create a larger wound chanel and likely won't penetrate as much as the 180, which actually is retaining more energy if you like that kind of thing.

I also like energy, I am also a big .264 fan. I also don't let it blind me to the fact that between two similarily constructed bullets travelling at similar speeds, that the one of heavier weight and larger diameter creating a larger wound chanel and, in the case of long range frangible projectiles, the heavier larger diameter pill is sending considerably more fragments and more retained weight or if you will ENERGY into said animal. Speed and velocity are neat and all, as well as going hand in hand. But there's nothing magical about them if the heavier and larger diameter bullet is still in the performance window.
But the 26 nosler and 300 win mag aren't traveling at similar speeds. I guess that is my point - its the significantly higher velocity if the 26 that allows it to go head to head with the 300 winny from an energy standpoint.

But the 26 nosler and 300 win mag aren't traveling at similar speeds. I guess that is my point - its the significantly higher velocity if the 26 that allows it to go head to head with the 300 winny from an energy standpoint.

Speed doesn't necessarily translate into energy, or we'd all be slinging 22-250's. Speed is essential to have, especially down range, to allow proper bullet expansion. If proper speed is retained with both bullets to open properly the larger diameter wins every time. It's not an opinion.

.300WM with 180AB @500 yds should still be travelling 2200fps+ no? Still in the performance window no? The 26 with 140AB might very well be travelling faster at same range but it will not be enough to create a larger wound chanel and likely won't penetrate as much as the 180, which actually is retaining more energy if you like that kind of thing.

Thats not an accurate statement. Search the relationship between sectional density and penetration. The 140gr 6.5 bullets have a relatively high SD which allows good penetration. High SD bullets coupled with high velocity cartridges like the 26 nosler will have better pentration than a 180gr bullet from a 300 winny - bullet construction being equal.

Speed doesn't necessarily translate into energy, or we'd all be slinging 22-250's. Speed is essential to have, especially down range, to allow proper bullet expansion. If proper speed is retained with both bullets to open properly the larger diameter wins every time. It's not an opinion.

What are you talking about? Energy is a product of the bullet weight and velocity. Speed is one of the components in the energy calculation.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.