26 Nosler help.

AlwaysLost

First let me start by saying hello, I'm new to this, most of the info I have read has lead me to this forum so I became a member.

I was planning on building a rem 700 in a rem 280 with a sporter contour. But in the last few days I have decided to go with a 26 nosler. I will only be hunting whitetail in Alabama so I think it will be a great round. As far as distance right now 350yds is my max.
My question is, would I be better of using a 7mm mag over a 270 for a donor. I can't find any info on the bolt face size. Most of info I've seen has been "I think, I guess or I expect" a mag bolt head would work with a standard long action.

If I didnt post this in the right forum please direct me to the proper place

How much practice will you be doing each year? Bore and throat life will be very short with 26 nos.

Honestly I think for whitetails and 350 yards max the 26 nos doesn't really fit. It will work for sure but there are other calibers that will keep your barrel in good condition longer that don't require a new action. Nothing wrong with the 280 for what you're doing. 284 is great too and can be used on the same action. 260, 260AI, 308, 284, 280, 280AI, 30-06 while none of these are new and exciting or sexy, they are perfect for what you're doing. It's the modern bullets that really step these cartridges up from what they were 15 and 20+ years ago.

Just my opinion.

How much practice will you be doing each year? Bore and throat life will be very short with 26 nos.

Honestly I think for whitetails and 350 yards max the 26 nos doesn't really fit. It will work for sure but there are other calibers that will keep your barrel in good condition longer that don't require a new action. Nothing wrong with the 280 for what you're doing. 284 is great too and can be used on the same action. 260, 260AI, 308, 284, 280, 280AI, 30-06 while none of these are new and exciting or sexy, they are perfect for what you're doing. It's the modern bullets that really step these cartridges up from what they were 15 and 20+ years ago.

Just my opinion.

Yeah the throat life is really short my brother built a 26 nosler and he is already re barreling it after 168 rounds I will say he wasnt easy on it for those 168 rounds either but high velocity and firecracked throat = bullets that wont stay together he was launching 140 bergers at 3450 I thought i may want to rechamber my 264 to a 26 nosler but that changed my mind really quick

Thanks for the info guys. This isn't going to be a gun range gun. After zeroing the scope and a few shots down range the most I will put thru it every year would be the 3 before the season to confirm zero and maybe a couple during the season. I understand that there are many other rounds that could be better but I want a 26. Once again thank you

I just happened to be looking at the Nosler Rifle brochure. Came to the conclusion that if I wanted a rifle in .26 Nosler, I'd just buy one of their's; probably a Patriot model for $1695 (or less). And it would have a warranty.

Why exactly?

I already have most of the calibers mentioned and a few others. I planned on a 280 because I really like the results I've had with one on deer. Then I found the 26 and since I have 2 really nice 280s already and I want something different. So the 26 is my choice

Why exactly?

Did Obama make you the 26 Nosler Police? Why do you care what caliber this guy wants to build? It's his money. I don't understand why you and a few other people want to act like barrels are made of unobtanium and want to drill people for choosing a so-called "barrel burner" caliber. I have news for you; barrels are wear parts. They wear out and you put a new one on. Big deal.

Did Obama make you the 26 Nosler Police? Why do you care what caliber this guy wants to build? It's his money. I don't understand why you and a few other people want to act like barrels are made of unobtanium and want to drill people for choosing a so-called "barrel burner" caliber. I have news for you; barrels are wear parts. They wear out and you put a new one on. Big deal.

Except to me a "barrel burner" still lasts at least 600 rounds, not less then 200 like multiple people have been experiencing. It's gotta be something to do with the powder column/throat angle of the case itself, not so being overbore because the 6.5/338 RUM Improved will last 800+ rounds no problem. Same with the .264 Winny, a few thousand easy.

It is a big deal when you need a new barrel in 80 rounds, or 180. That's just unacceptable.

So, do you have any actual useful info on the 26 Nosler or do you just like to post for no reason?

Yeah, I'm jumping in. Sorry guys this is may not go well but I'm trying to understand.

adam32 it's not the message, it the method.

If you are trying to say, beware of barrel burners, there is no issue with your position.

If you are trying to say, your stupid, the design is stupid, then there is an issue.

The first one is constructive, open to discussion of the pros and cons of your position and sharing knowledge and experience and IMO very contributory to a forum.

The second is negative, insulting and closed to any discussion of pros and cons depicts a general a 'use must do it my way' attitude and IMO is very damaging to the forum concept.

Just asking and trying to understand.

A think the 26 Nosler is a fine cartridge. A little speed never hurts for helping get through the wind and range estimation errors.

Barrel life has a lot to do with how it's run. I have seen 300 Rums wrecked in 40 rounds. I have no doubt you could wreck a 26 Nosler in 168. A 264 Win Mag will wipe out a barrel in short order too. It was noted as a barrel burner when it first came out. I have well over a thousand through my 257 Weatherby and I have half the throat wear my son does with fewer rounds.

Now if you treat it nice, only cleaning when needed and don't get it hot, I expect it will last as long as any other cartridge that is as overbore. Say it lasts 168 rounds. Even if it takes you 60 rounds to develop a great load. 5 rounds a year to confirm zero and blast a couple at a deer equals over 20 years of hunting. I have customers that shoot 20 head of game for every 20 rounds of ammo. When I was a kid a 50 round box of Stingers equaled about 50 dead digger squirrels. I picked my shots and only fired on a sure thing. He could do the same with a 26 Nosler to 350 yards real easy.

Except to me a "barrel burner" still lasts at least 600 rounds, not less then 200 like multiple people have been experiencing. It's gotta be something to do with the powder column/throat angle of the case itself, not so being overbore because the 6.5/338 RUM Improved will last 800+ rounds no problem. Same with the .264 Winny, a few thousand easy.

It is a big deal when you need a new barrel in 80 rounds, or 180. That's just unacceptable.

So, do you have any actual useful info on the 26 Nosler or do you just like to post for no reason?

No, i don't have any useful info yet on the 26 Nosler but Pierce just finished my titanium action and they're gonna screw a hawk hill barrel on it and put it in a mcmillan stock. I'll have plenty of useful information about it in a few months. As fas as posting for no reason I haven't really figured out the point of you posting in this thread other than to be the south end of a north-bound horse.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.