26 Nosler Bullets?

Well you used the lrab as it is intended for the Muley...as i was told by nosler rep "make sure it is over 500 yards" or it is just to explosive....
Acc or maybe bt under the 500.....
As thin skinned as the lope is it should have gone into the critter...
Bummer.....

I've seen a few different ALBR bullets turn into frag grenades on impact when the velocity is pretty high. I tested a few of the 142 ABLR in a 6.5/338 RUM Improved with a muzzle velocity over 3500 fps and the impacts at 300 yards were almost as explosive as the regular Ballistic Tips.

The Hammers are a great option at any velocity since they expand pretty much the same regardless of velocity. If you want to stick with lead core bullets, the 160gr Matrix has proven to hold together well. Plus, I've always been happier with heavier bullets in super magnums like the Noslers and RUMs.

I have a 6.5 Wby (3400 FPS with 140 gr) and had the same experience as your friend with 140 Berger VLD's. Switched to 140 partitions and slowed them down to 3350 and have hammered elk, deer and moose out to 500 yards. No bullet issues.

I have a 6.5 Wby (3400 FPS with 140 gr) and had the same experience as your friend with 140 Berger VLD's. Switched to 140 partitions and slowed them down to 3350 and have hammered elk, deer and moose out to 500 yards. No bullet issues.
And I've killed a lot of animals with LRAB's in my 28 Nosler and 30 Nosler with no penetration issues. Distances from 210 to 640. Always found the slugs under the hide on the far side. I like LRAB's as long as they aren't pushed over 3200.

The 26 is fairly hard on bullets, I wonder if a 9twist barrel would stabilize a 140/142 and be a bit easier on the bullet. I think that twist reduction may help the bullets stay together a bit better.
I shot a pile of different bullets in my 26's (had two) and settled on the 127LRX in the current 26. That runs 3490 out of a 26" barrel.
Off the top of my head I tried
140amax, 140sst, 140 AB, 142lrab, 129lrab, 160chinchaga, 140vld-h, 120ttsx, 127LRX. The best accuracy I saw was with the 140ab and 127lrx.

Thanks for all the replies. He is gonna try out the Bergers and see how they work at the extra velocity. They work great in the my creed, but they are only moving at 2840 FPS out the muzzle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.