26” 270 rifle for mule deer

L 😇 L! The simple answer is that he can. We all have different preferences and intended purposes. I have rifles with barrel lengths from 18" to 30" and shotguns from 20" to 40." In 2012, I built my .270 AI with a 30" LilJa 3G 1:8" #6 precisely to propel the 165/175 Matrix VLDs, and now the Berger 170s. I reached nearly 3100 FPS with the 175s and H4831SCs (people are claiming an additional 100 FPS with RL-26), but with pressure signs, the group started opening up. I settle for 2996 FPS. BTW, it is also threaded to accept my suppressor. 🤣
View attachment 527459

Tim,
Welcome to LRH, and enjoy! Congrats on an excellent choice of chambering and brand. As you have already discovered, open/western and long-range hunting differs from what you are accustomed to. My advice is to take your time and enjoy the learning process, and of course, practice, practice, practice. Long-range hunting does not happen overnight. Enjoy your new rig, and keep us all posted. Cheers!

Ed

Whoa Ed.....page 6 and the 80th reply. I was wondering when you were going to jump in?

Up to now I've hunted whitetails 5-100 yards in mid-western woods. About anything goes at those ranges (30-06 with iron sights for me). My new neighbor has asked me to go with him out west next year in search of Mule deer and possibly antelope. This would be more open country than i am used to (maybe 100-350 yards?) so am looking for a flatter shooting round / rifle. He tells me if he had to start out fresh he'd recommend first a 25-06, and second choice 270. BUT only with a 26-inch barrel. In my price range (say 800-1200) I dont see anything in 25-06, and only two in .270 with 26" barrel options: Browning X bolt speed LR and the Remington 700 Long Range.
Am I missing other options? If not which would be your choice.
First time poster so go easy…..and point me to existing threads if applicable.
Thanks
Tim in TN
Welcome to the forum from Rhode Island. We don't do anything long-range here in this state!! A 1000 yard range would get you from the Connecticut border to the Massachusetts boarder. I guess you know that you came to the right place with your questions. You certainly did get some good replies and recommendations. I think that you made a great choice for a rifle/caliber/cartridge combination; glad that you didn't get hooked into that Creedmor😂😂;)!!! CZ has come a long way in their product line and their quality control. They also make a great .22 bolt gun and some really great handguns. I could jump in about the 26 inch barrel thing...but that seems to be covered quite well also. Well.....maybe a little bit! I do whitetail hunt with a .270 Ackley Improved with a 26 inch barrel, and...have not found the 26 inch barrel to be a disadvantage in any manner, way, shape or form. If you are on a budget and are looking at scopes take a look at the Arken line. Both my son and I have them, we've had nothing but good luck with them. They track great, return to zero without any issues and they will not break the bank by any means. I have a nephew who shoots long range with his Arkin scoped Ruger precision in .308 Winchester. He said that he likes the scope out to 500 yards as it is totally consistent. Thanks for coming up with the update. As one of your replies stated, that there often are times when posters will get replies and answers and then you never hear from them again. Please keep us posted on your hunt.

Welcome sir! I moved out here 33yrs ago, from The Big Thicket SE Texas via Oklahoma. Was a bowhunter and iron sight guy too! The wide open distance was daunting to me! Still. my average for mule deer is 75yds.( lots of edges where the aspens meet the dark timber, get on a good game trail and hunt slow ) Elk, 190yds, antelope 250 (just because I wanted a couple long shots, usually they are under 150yds!) Lots of cover/coulees, etc to "hunt" your game! I personally believe that "for the money", go to Amazon and buy the discontinued Burris FFII 3x9 BDC. (Approx. $200) I have had them on 22-250s to 338 win mags, 300Wm, 300 Ultra, many 270s. While I have never killed but one Spanish Goat and one jackrabbit with the 270, I have owned and played with a Bakers Dozen! ha. My last 270 is a Kimber Classic 84L that shines with the Barnes 110TTSX and 4064 powder. That 110 is screaming, flat and wicked, cheap enough to shoot alot! Have a ball pard, and never, ever hold over, always hold on hair. If windy at all, hold onto the leading edge of the biggest kill zone! :)

Last edited:
Exactly, and 3000fps with the 140s and 145s in a package that unless you choose something ultra lite will not kick you from under your hat. And has energy to spare
It's a sixty year old Sako Finnbear with a 24.5" barrel, for me the next step would be either 7mm RM or a 280 AI we have both again Sako rifles. We do have one 26" barrel on a 22-250 AI with a 1-8 twist as per the photo

IMG_7420.jpeg

Up to now I've hunted whitetails 5-100 yards in mid-western woods. About anything goes at those ranges (30-06 with iron sights for me). My new neighbor has asked me to go with him out west next year in search of Mule deer and possibly antelope. This would be more open country than i am used to (maybe 100-350 yards?) so am looking for a flatter shooting round / rifle. He tells me if he had to start out fresh he'd recommend first a 25-06, and second choice 270. BUT only with a 26-inch barrel. In my price range (say 800-1200) I dont see anything in 25-06, and only two in .270 with 26" barrel options: Browning X bolt speed LR and the Remington 700 Long Range.
Am I missing other options? If not which would be your choice.
First time poster so go easy…..and point me to existing threads if applicable.
Thanks
Tim in TN
I'm guessing that you don't reload. So I'd stick with something that there is plenty of factory ammo for, even when ammo was scarce you could always find a good amount of 308 win on the shelf everywhere and it will be all you need for shots out past what your expected ranges will be shooting, and for 1200 dollars you can get the whole package in a good used gun with glass and ammo JMHO.
I MISS JE CUSTOM