.257 weatherby to 7mm STW

brockel

How much do you think it would cost to have my .257 weatherby rebarreled to a 7mm STW. Do any of you know any good gunsmiths around Montana that could do this for a reasonable price.

Depends on the level of barrel you want installed. I am having a gun built and if I remember correctly the barrel with instalation was about $500 of the total price of the build (I might be WAY wrong). I would expect about $200 plus the price of the barrel. A take off barrel or lower grade barrel will be cheaper, a top-of-the-line barrel will be more; just depends on what you want. Again, I'm not a smith so I might be way off.

As far as gunsmiths in Montana...where are you located? I know Kirby (WELL known on this board) is in Ft. Shaw (near Great Falls) and Young's gunsmithing in Tracy (also near Gt Falls) would both do a great job. I'm sure there are probably more good smiths around, these are just two I know of.

Good luck,

Brockel:
Are you kidding, what a metropolis. :) Lots of dogs out your way incl. Marmarth area. Which is definately in the middle of nowhere. Used to hunt out that way a few years back. I should get out their again sometime.

You have the smiths listed here, which I am familiar with Kirby's work, and highly recommend and also you would not be too far from Straight Shot Gunsmithing (308nate) in ND, which I don't have any personal experience with but hear good things about. Didn't know if you thought about him or not but it would be another possible choice anyway. Good luck
1kstr

Have you considered just a rechamber to .257 STW? Some Accubonds or Partitions flying out of that would be awesome. I shoot the 7mm STWs, but the .257 sure would be interesting and cheap to get to with a rechamber...just a thought.

The reason for the 7mm STW and not the 257 STW is because I would like to be able to also use the rifle for elk. I accually cant make my mind up between having it rebarreled to the 7mm STW or the 340 weatherby.

257 hands down

Hi, I live in the Dodson MT area and have done quite a bit of research on these two calibers. From what I gather the 7mm is very finicky, otherwise a pain in the butt to get to shoot well. I plan on getting a long action savage and putting a 27" 257 wby Pac-Nor varmint contour on it with an HS precision stock.

They are extremely accurate. I have one factory heavy barrel from Winchester and a rebore off of a 7mm Rem Mag in a Winchester. Those along with many other friend's rifles group at less than 1/2 at 100 yards for 3 shots (2 more shots won't make it much bigger if at all bigger).

Reloading is very simple with powders like H4831, H1000 and RL22. With those load densities and those characteristics, slight variations in powder measurements don't seem to affect it (78 to 85 grains). All bullet weights continually to try to go into one hole.

This cartridge outshoots the shooter in many cases - as in my situation.

Recommendation: do some additional research

I dont know where you heard that the stw is finicky but with the one i have dealt with is is just plain all around fun. As easy as anything else to load for if not easier than some of the calibers I've played with. We have a original sendero that is chambered in the stw and I personally wouldnt want to be through the cross hairs out to 800yrds. It would be further just I havent had time to play with it any further. Definately a .75moa gun out to 800 at least. No trigger work, no bedding, no special brass prep. Just load and squeeze the trigger and watch stuff flop down the hillside.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.