Rebarrel to .257 Weatherby

bluefish

After more than 20 years of service, it looks like the barrel on my old Model 700 in 7mm rem will need a refresh. Since I have another 7mm rem mag and a 280 AI, I'm looking at something new and different. The .257 Weatherby Mag is interesting as a potential deer and antelope rifle. May also be used to aggravate our local goundhogs at extreme ranges. As a long time 257 Roberts shooter this will obviously be a big upgrade in .257 horsepower

From what i read, here and at other sources, it looks like the best best for new barrel would be somthing like:

Barrel Length - 25 inches
Twist - 1 in 9
Bullets; High BC 115 gr - 130 gr
No turn neck (vice Weatherby freebore)

I know a lot of regulars here shoot the 257 Weatherby a lot, so any corrections to the above or suggestions appreciated

What about a custom reamer? We had Pacific Tool and Gauge do the one that my friends and I used. We sent in a dummy round with the 115 Berger VLD seated to our specs. Then we talked about how much freebore. We opted for less than Weatherby uses. End result? Five rifles were built all are tackdrivers with the 115 VLD.

Other details: All five barrels were Lilja 1 in 10 3 groove SS barrels. Two were #5 profile fluted, three were #3 profile, one cut at 24", two at 26".

Four elk have been taken by the guy who just loves carrying around his 24" rifle. He has also taken 3 mule deer. The rest of us use ours for coues wt.

That 24" rifle is a model 700 in an edge stock with a Leupold 3.5-10 x 40 with a turret. He had as much metal machined off as possible. It weighs just under 6 1/2 lbs.

I used to have a 25-06 that would shoot within 50fps of a friends 257 Weatherby. I would go with the 25-06 and Retumbo and not bother with the Weatherby.

I use a 8 twist barrel and can stabilize the 142 gr Wildcat bullets. If I was to rebarrel I would go with a gain twist with a final spin somewhere about 8 -8.5. While I can stabilize the 142s I hunt with the 130s.

I also use a 28 inch barrel to make the most of the case capacity.

As far as a reamer I usually specify a minimum SAAMI and instead of "conventional" free bore I have a target leade that allows me to jam the bullets. Of course I don't care about magazine length and do not hunt with magazine fed rifles.

We like our 257 wby's. They are super deer/antelope rifles. Ours are factory 26" MK 5's. We shoot the 100 grain Barnes TTSX at 3760 fps and it is a lazer to 700 yards. Longer kills can easily be made with it. Kills to 700 yards are trivial without using clicks. Just mil dots or one of the range reticle scopes. Never used the heavy bullets to go way out there with the 257 but I am sure it would do well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.