257 wby or 7mm rem mag

bcwhit

I have a remington 700 that I picked up a few years back that was rebarreled to 257 wby. I am trying to decide if I want to change it to a 7mm rem mag or leave it a 257 wby. I needs to be rebarreled as the barrel is going bad. I know I should probably use a 22-250 for coyotes but that 257 puts em down hard.

I was thinking brass for a 7mm Rem Mag is cheap compared to Wby. brass. How much of the Wby. brass do you currently own? If you have a surplus of that caliber it may be the better option for now. Like Marine Sniper said, there is a much better bullet selection. If you are going to keep the shots under 600yrds it will knock down the yotes pretty handily like you have already said. If you want to go longer for heavier game, than you should likely consider the heavier caliber.

Tank

My pick would be the .257 Wby; Roy Weatherby had it right, and it was his favorite hunting cartridge caliber. I've used the .257 Wby for most the small and big game in the North West including Elk and found it too worked just fine; with the right bullet selection for the game. My last {out of the eight or so rifles I've owned in that caliber} was an Accumark; it was target rifle accurate; come to think of it'…, I never did have a bad shooter in any of the Weatherby .257's I owned.
I believe in Weatherby rifle sales; the .257 Wby caliber ranks as number one, just edging out the .300 Wby.
As a Coyote and long range Deer rifle; well that's where it shines, I used a 100gr Barnes XLC BT and would back it up with Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tip BT which both shot into the same poi at 100 yards, and both were very accurate; with the speed going to the Barnes for long range, along with stronger bullet.

As to the comment by Marine Sniper on the 7mm. He's right about the better choice of bullets, and the application(s). I'm not sure I'd go with the 7mm Remington Mag today in your case. I'd look at something like the 7mm RSAUM; just think of it as a 7.08 Rem on steroids….. I think the RSAUM case is a great design and over looked by many today. I've used the case, also used on the .300 RSAUM for 1k matches at Raton NM and loved it; I shot with a friend that use the case on a wildcatted 6.5mm RSAUM and it was spectacular at 1k
A
Also the comment about brass always wholes true, yes 7mm Remington Mag will be a little easier to fined.

On a side note, I've seen the Marine Sniper do some very fine long range shooting with a 7mm, {not he 7mm Remington Mag} way pass where you thought it might end. Along with some very, very surgical 1k shooting and groups. Like me and my pick of the 257 Wby; there's a reason he pick's the 7mm. he's experience with the caliber.
Good luck with your project.

Thanks for the info,

My brass supply is used up for the 257 wby I have shot 750 rounds through this rifle with my brass on its 7th loading and cracking, the load used is 100gr sierra bt and 75 gr rx25. It wears a rather short barrel of 23"so velocity is 3500 fps range. I feared that this rifle was near worn out when I bought it and I have had fun with it while it lasted. My delima is I own a 25-06 that shoots the same bullet with 57 grs of H 4831 at a velocity of 3300 fps and a 280 remington that runs a140 gr sierra at 3000.The ranges shot, are most commonly in the 350 to 400 yrds with the occational 500 ish shot. so not super long range by any stretch. I just cant seem to put this one to rest on my own. Oh yea the critters hunted are whitetail and desert mulies and a big pile of coyotes and pigs.

My pick would be the .257 Wby; Roy Weatherby had it right, and it was his favorite hunting cartridge caliber. I've used the .257 Wby for most the small and big game in the North West including Elk and found it too worked just fine; with the right bullet selection for the game. My last {out of the eight or so rifles I've owned in that caliber} was an Accumark; it was target rifle accurate; come to think of it'…, I never did have a bad shooter in any of the Weatherby .257's I owned.
I believe in Weatherby rifle sales; the .257 Wby caliber ranks as number one, just edging out the .300 Wby.
As a Coyote and long range Deer rifle; well that's where it shines, I used a 100gr Barnes XLC BT and would back it up with Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tip BT which both shot into the same poi at 100 yards, and both were very accurate; with the speed going to the Barnes for long range, along with stronger bullet.

As to the comment by Marine Sniper on the 7mm. He's right about the better choice of bullets, and the application(s). I'm not sure I'd go with the 7mm Remington Mag today in your case. I'd look at something like the 7mm RSAUM; just think of it as a 7.08 Rem on steroids….. I think the RSAUM case is a great design and over looked by many today. I've used the case, also used on the .300 RSAUM for 1k matches at Raton NM and loved it; I shot with a friend that use the case on a wildcatted 6.5mm RSAUM and it was spectacular at 1k
A
Also the comment about brass always wholes true, yes 7mm Remington Mag will be a little easier to fined.

On a side note, I've seen the Marine Sniper do some very fine long range shooting with a 7mm, {not he 7mm Remington Mag} way pass where you thought it might end. Along with some very, very surgical 1k shooting and groups. Like me and my pick of the 257 Wby; there's a reason he pick's the 7mm. he's experience with the caliber.
Good luck with your project.

My comments were based on bullet selection only. Marine snipers do not use 7mms.

Marine Sniper,

I'll have to apologize, I thought you were a Marine Sniper buddy of mine playing games with me'…, again. I originally thought you were him that's why my post includes you in it. I think my buddy kocoa88 may have even emailed you at one time, asking what class you were in and whether you where a member of the Marine Sniper Association.
Your I.D may have also confused me.
USMC Scout Sniper 88-94
Instructor 1st. Mar. Div. SS school 91-94

He was class in 4-88 mos 8541{old Sniper Scout mos} which is now 0317
Any way sorry for the mix up'…, what is 88-94? Just a little curiosity.

I was in the Marine Corps from 1988-1994. I gradutaed sniper school in July of 1990, went to the Gulf war and came back to teach at sniper school from 1991-1994.

I was an 8541 and have the brand......ask your buddy about that.

Marine Sniper,
Sorry for the down time between reply's. So are you with the Marine Sniper Association? Reply PM

Yes'..., I see you've been to a beach party with a hot coat hanger. gun)

Last edited:
IMO the cost difference between brass and bullet selection makes the 7rm a way better choice. With a berger 168 or 180 flying at 2850 or better you are going to have way more knock down power at way longer ranges especially for larger game. The cases are both belted so I don't think Roy has that much of a advantage on remingtons design besides his shoulder angle.

I have one of each...the 257 is shooting 115 bergers at 3455 and is stupid flat. Even with just a 523 BC it still beets the 7 in drift because the time of flight is so quick. For what you are doing the 257 is more than fine. Unless you are shooting past 600 yards consistently I would stick with what you are used to. My 7 shoots 168 bergers at 3125 and is my prefered go to caliber on any shot on game at long range. Lets face it, the energy of the 7 is just hands down better. Also there is no such thing as over kill. A dead coyote is a dead coyote is a dead coyote(yes 3 times). Also, think of some of the damage that the big Allen mags are doing to game. I will easily take a one shot drop on game and damage the shoulders rather than wound an animal with a lesser caliber due to lack of energy.

From what you described with shots at deer inside of 500 yards I would do another 257 weatherby. With a 100 grain bullet .429BC at near 3800 fps out of a 26" barrel it is amazingly flat shooting and just flattens deer size animals. The extremely flat trajectory would do well on the little coyotes you mentioned. I was just scouting some antelope this evening with my son and they will get smacked with the 257 wby in about a month. Mine shoots consistent 1" groups at 400 yards. It is a very accurate rifle. Since you have a 280 that is very near the 7mm rem mag why not do the 257 wby.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.