257 Robert's

Sportsman's Warehouse in Colorado Springs had that on the shelf this week. Might be able to order some on line. I just use Winchester brass and 110 gr Accubonds in my old Rem 700 and it stays under one MOA.
That 110 accubond is a dang good bullet , but if you want 2 to 3 hundred fps more vel and ever want to try a mono the 90 gr hammer absolute is the ticket . I shoot it in my 25-284 at nearly 3900 fps my accuracy load is 3800 fps the Roberts should get at least 3400 or more . It seems a lot of good bullets especially accubonds are getting harder and harder too get.

It's the remington mountain rifle in 700.
I have worked on a few of those. One consistent problem that I have found with them, is that when the barrel channel was inletted, they left a high spot in the center that rubbed the barrel in front of the action for a few inches. Simple fix...take the barreled action out of the stock and sand the center of the bottom of the barrel channel with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel rod. If this in fact is the problem, you'll see a slight rub mark on the underneath of the barrel where it was touching. It makes a world of difference.

I have worked on a few of those. One consistent problem that I have found with them, is that when the barrel channel was inletted, they left a high spot in the center that rubbed the barrel in front of the action for a few inches. Simple fix...take the barreled action out of the stock and sand the center of the bottom of the barrel channel with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel rod. If this in fact is the problem, you'll see a slight rub mark on the underneath of the barrel where it was touching. It makes a world of difference.
Thank you I'll check and see.

Here is what I used when doing load development on my Bob: https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Product/Details/1111833?source=A10001

In stock...but not cheap.

I had a Ruger M77 that absolutely would not group under 2". Ended up having a Bartlein screwed on, trigger work, bedded, etc. Got 115gr Partitions shooting about 3/4". Gave the rifle to my brother who had shoulder surgery and needed a light recoil for deer hunting.

Good luck :)
Good Brother right there !!

the 257 Roberts was the first centerfire cartridge I ever fired, and I fell in love with it. the rifle which I later purchased was a m24 Mauser had a 28-inch full blank barrel with a one in ten twist built for target shooting along with a Timney trigger unfortunately it has a weight of 16 pounds so it's mostly a safe queen. so, I decided to build a tribute rifle built on a savage model 11 26-inch #5 contour with a one in ten twist blued. with a bell and Carlson stock have to open up the barrel channel a little but I can't wait to get it to the range

My Model 7MS out of the old Custom Shop in Ilion, NY. I still have 2 boxes of Hornady Superformance 117 grain SST's.

Attachments

• 8EE48DB3-B34B-4048-B037-B4D991C78CF6.jpeg
    8EE48DB3-B34B-4048-B037-B4D991C78CF6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
I reload the 257 Roberts as well. It is a modern varmint style barrel nut rifle. But I use relatively older brass that was handed down to me. R-P and Win. Both +P. I use A4350 (any 4350 will do) with 100 gr. boat-tail bullets. Very happy with this rifle. I've been seeing an uptick of people looking for good brass.

Last edited:
Way back when I was a younger man and able to run the ridges and hollers of north-central PA one of my huntin' buddies had what I now consider the perfect deer rifle for how we hunted. It was a tang safety Ruger ULR (20" barrel w/ black forend tip) in The Bob. Unlike most of it's kind, it was accurate and stable out of the box. It was topped with a Leupold 1.75-6x VX-III with a heavy duplex, and it was a deadly tool in the hands of it's owner. We loaded 115-grain Partitions behind IMR-4350 and got a little over 2700 fps. It weighed just short of 7 pounds and balanced like a dream. I do not know how many offers I made for the rifle. Terry would just smile and walk away. :(